Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pesky gnats

Default pesky gnats

Any tips to deter pesky gnats other than cigars?

You may wanna try some skin so soft lotion by Avon, they use it for sand gnats along the coast, I had a little left from my time in Florida and I tried it a couple times last year in the Smokies and it seemed to help out. I don't like using the bug repellents on my skin unless I am getting massacred by mosquitos or yellow flies. I have heard repellents can be hard on fly lines as well.

Neal

Cool very good and very cheap

I found out this from a friend and it is very cheap.....get you a spray bottle and put a cap full on vanilla extract, real or imitation and then fill the rest of the way up with water, shake and you have it.

Skin So Soft works well too but you can not buy it just anywhere and it cost too much for the likes of me, makes you smell like a little girl too…lol.
    Good Health and Great Fishing

Mark

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Well her ID is Rivergal so I have a feeling that smelling like a girl won't be a problem for her

Default Another vote for

Skin So Soft, used it on a missions trip into the amazon jungle and never even got nibbled on.

Mike

PS: Be sure to be very careful with or avoid products with DEET, it has been known to destroy some breathable waders.
    "Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
    You may wanna try some skin so soft lotion by Avon, they use it for sand gnats along the coast, I had a little left from my time in Florida and I tried it a couple times last year in the Smokies and it seemed to help out. I don't like using the bug repellents on my skin unless I am getting massacred by mosquitos or yellow flies. I have heard repellents can be hard on fly lines as well.

Neal
    They have gnats in Iraq that are so small they fly right through mosquito netting. Skin so soft worked great! We were the best smelling infantry soldiers in history

Does Skin-So-Soft attract Bears? I have heard they like sweet smelling stuff,

overdose on vitamin b12...harmless to you, but you will stink...which keeps bugs away
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

I wear clear safety glasses when the light is not bright enough to wear sunglasses....Smith makes a pair of almost clear polarized ones.....
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Check out my gallery.....
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/

Thermacell. It works great. I take it with me every time I'm in the woods.
    "To go fishing is the chance of washing one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of the sun on blue water."

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.