Thread: Elk River

Default Elk River

Went to the Elk River today. Fished the river below the dam for about 3 hours.
    Caught 3 brown and 1 rainbow. All in the 9 to 12 inch size.

There were very, very many fish (not trout) that could be seen in pods all along the section of river that I fished. One fisherman said he was told they were fish that had come from the lake via the way TVA is releasing water. A real nuisance!

iR, Glad you had a good day. Haven't been on the Elk in a while. Might be free Friday afternoon or will the 7/4 crowds be too much? Mike

I fished the Elk yesterday also, with three friends from our fly fishing club.
    We didn't have much luck. The other guys cought only two or three each,
    and my only catch was a 12 inch shad on #12 olive wooly bugger of all things.
    At least I wasn't totally skunked. There were several people fishing yesterday
    and no one did really great. I was surprised at the number of people for the middle of
    the week until I remembered it is the week of the 4th of July. Vacation time for many.

Default 7/4 Fishing

Mike,
    Suggest we wait until the following week to avoid the 4th crowd.
    Will call you tonight.
    Elton

Default Elk 7/2

Had a decent short day on the Elk. Sz 16 BHPT 18" under a sz 16 griffiths gnat. Across and dowm pulling the gnat under. Got fish on both, usually the BHPT. Saw a big cream looking mayfly-light cahill? Hope all have a good 4th. Monk

Default Short day on Elk

Mike,
    Glad to hear you had the opportunity, even if short day, to fish the Elk Thursday. Looking forward to us hitting it in a couple of weeks.

Default Good Day on the Elk

Went Saturday after a Wednesday stocking and the fish were so thick that I got tired of catching them. Caught about half on a Hares Ear/Zebra Midge two-fly rig and the other half ripping a grey ghost type minnow lure through the current and getting 3 and 4 fish at a time chasing it. It was good fun. Fished at Ferris Creek and up river a mile or so.

God Bless
    "even Jesus had a 12 man recon team"

IR and Highpockets, Glad to see you guys catching some good numbers of fish. Good to know trout are holding on well at Ferris Bridge.
    Monk

hope it keeps up. Been so busy that I can't get much of anywhere else to fish.
    "even Jesus had a 12 man recon team"