Thread: Wplp 07/02/09

Default Wplp 07/02/09

I took a co-worker, John Harris (long time trout fisherman), up to West Prong of the Little Pigeon on Thursday for his first visit to the gorge. Turned out to be a great day for his first exposure.

We put in at the Nature Exhibit pull off about a half mile below the Chimney Tops trailhead and fished up to the dry creekbed exit that brings you up on the lower side of the tunnel.

The water was down a good bit but, I guess, normal for this time of year. And the trout were banging on anything dry. We probably had twice as many slaps as catches. I caught 14 altogether (all bows) on X-Caddis, Yellow Parachute Adams and Parachute Light Cahill (all #16) with most of the catches being on the Light Cahill. Probably half of those were keeper size with the largest around 9". John was in double digits as well but I didn't get a final count.

I topped off the day with a brown on the way back down Little River Road while I was headed home. Beautiful day, lots of fish and a chance to introduce a friend to one of my favorite streams. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

I fished the section just below the chimney's trailhead on Wednesday, there were about 100 kids crawling over the rocks below the bridge, but as soon as I got 50 yards below them, I started catching fish. Someone at LRO had told me to fish down from the bridge because everyone fishes up from there, but after a few hundred yards, I bumped into 2 guys fishing up from where you were. I guess we all had the same idea, I still got about a dozen including a couple of brookies right where I stopped to talk to those guys. Great section of river especially if you like rock climbing.
    Tad
    Bucyrus, Ohio

Tad,

You didn't happen to lose a Red Wing water bottle did you? We found one in the river and I brought it out.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Charlie B,
    The only thing that I know I lost there was one yellow parachute adams on my last cast of the trip. I forgot to clear my backblast area.
    Thanks
    Tad