Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litter

Default Litter

Today while fishing GSMNP I found disposable diapers in 2 different locations near the water's edge. Last week I found abandoned watermelon rinds, a head of lettuce, and beverage cans on a trail. Seems like litter is getting worse.
    Gone fishing.

I'm sorry to hear this. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving trash strewn about. Makes me angry.

Ever notice, it's almost always Budweiser cans too?

Jeff

the soda cans are mtn dew....picked up trash and counted last year....mtn dew 78% of litter cans
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

The worst months always seem to be June, July, and August. Wonder what that coincides with....

The people who visit in October tend to be here to enjoy the beauty of the park and therefore are more respectful.

I always carry some type of bag with me. I just don't understand who they think is going to pick it up

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Excellent example Flyman ! I save newspaper sleeves for impromptu litter bags.
    Gone fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
    the soda cans are mtn dew....picked up trash and counted last year....mtn dew 78% of litter cans
    Sam, you should send your stats to the maker of Mtn Dew, might help 'em to know who their target market is, so they can better focus their advertising... I think Budweiser already knows.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

In all but the coldest months I will have a cooler full of iced down water and nutrition drinks in the vehicle I just recycle the ice bag. We can all make a difference by taking a small bag and picking up a few things we see during the day. I also carry a couple of large trash bags for comfort and survival type things that I will use for larger items and the diapers. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have found
    Last edited by flyman; 07-12-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Default Keeping it clean

When in the park I make a point of picking some trash. It requires so little effort. Fathers day I took my 11 year old daughter fly fishing. She did great caught her first brook and bow. But back to the litter we were hiking up a trail from the West Prong of the little river and came across the remains of a plastic container that had the obvious marks of being chewed on by a bear. We picted it up. I am sure it had been left on top of a car or in the back of a truck. be aware of the unitintional littler that accures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    Sam, you should send your stats to the maker of Mtn Dew, might help 'em to know who their target market is, so they can better focus their advertising... I think Budweiser already knows.

sb
    One of the biggest markets for Mountain Dew (other than myself) is young people (20 somethings) and computer programmers who learned in school that, with its high caffiene content, it's one of the best things for keeping you awake for those late night programming homework tasks. So, the park is obviously being ravaged by young people and geeks.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com