Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abrams Creek July 23-25

Default Abrams Creek July 23-25

I am taking a group backpacking to #17 on Abrams Creek next weekend. I will not be able to fish full time but will get a few hours in while I am there. I would expect to be in the general area of #17.

What patterns should I be using?

Poppers for smallmouth, unless you hike up towards the falls area. Then standard mountain fare for Rainbows.

remember to get your permits (free) and that the maximum party size is 8
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

Quote Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
    Poppers for smallmouth, unless you hike up towards the falls area. Then standard mountain fare for Rainbows.
    Are there no trout in the section between the Hatcher Mountain Trail ford and 17?

Quote Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
    remember to get your permits (free) and that the maximum party size is 8
    Can do. I am a nooby flyfisherman, but an expert backpacker. I have been taking groups up to 17 for 20-years. I do not consider the backcountry regulations to be optional!

I've caught some rainbows just above the campground years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, you get into a canyon type area up a ways. My best memory was that of a Raccoon trying to eat from my pan while it was still over a burner!

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

prosigna,

Very few trout below Rabbit Creek. For prime trout fishing you really need to be on the other side of the falls. There are some better fish above Little Bottoms in the wintertime, right now you would be better of fishing for rock bass and such.

prosigna,
    I think Abram's Creek is a wonderful place to guests. Here are a few pointers from my experiences....

• Super slick in the creek bed. (be careful and expect it to be VERY SLIPPERY)
    • You can read about the fish in the creek on the campsite message board. Several are protected.
    • The famous 'Horseshoe' is up the creek and about a 3-5 mile hike...
    • The fly I have found successful in the creek is the 'greenie weenie'. Just let it drift in to a pool and it will dance for the fish...

One thing I have always thought about is taking some kind of float tube so that I could float back to the campground....
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I second the green weenie. A buddy got me to use them. I also like to use a Charteuse San Worm. Its the same color as the green weenie obvioulsy, but it is just another version of the green inch worm that I have used recently.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." ~Unknown~

The worms that I've been using from a local shop are done after one strike...Is this normal? If so, you may want to take a few. Just a thought.

I tie my own worms, and they seem to hold up just fine. Of course I use them mostly on the little fish in the streams.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." ~Unknown~