Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid

Default Stupid

So, I go to my favorite river near Cookville today. Not much rising. Not much hatching. I had just walked through a field full of grasshoppers. I decide to give a hopper a try and toss it out not expecting much. You know that point when you see a trout flash and think "I'm about to catch a fish!" ? I saw this guy coming and thought "That's too big" The biggest brown I've ever seen in person, hits my hopper pattern. It' WAY bigger than the 18-19" bow that is my current record. I decide about 20 or so seconds into the fight that it would be a good idea to loosen my net so I could "easily" grab it when I got the fish close. As soon as I let go of the line with my stripping hand, he runs toward me, the line goes slack and he's gone...This area is not a stocked area, so I didn't expect to see much and toward the end of the day, I thought I was going to get skunked, but I managed to catch a couple of small bows before dark. I'll never forget that brown that took that hopper though.

Sweet story man, If i have learned anything from hooking, losing, and landing large browns it's that more often than not when you think it is time to pull that net you're wrong! Larger fish in general seem to have that final surge when they really think that their life is on the line (parden the pun) but rest assured you ain't the only one to do it, I lost a pure trophy brown on the Chatooga this past spring, but it makes for a nice story plus anytime a fish drills a big-ol hopper it is cool I think micro midges got their place but I like tossing full meals their way!
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

My favorite way to lose them is to try and wind in the slack and get them on the reel. While I'm cranking away they run to me and before I can get up the slack, they are gone. Someday, I'll learn not to have so much slack line out.

Smart fish that flies right at the anglers feet once hooked

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

The sad part is that I knew better from reading this board and others. I think I just panicked because he was so dang big.

I sympathize with you man!! The exact same thing happened to me on the Oconoluftee River. A HUGE bow had grabbed my #10 PMX, ran upstream a hundred yards and then raced back downstream in a split second. I didn't have any time to reel in the slack and he popped the fly out...UGGGHHHH!!! I was mad as all get out... A certain fish and I still have unfinished business.

At least you had an excuse. I had the dang thing hooked and was fightin' with him for a few seconds and made a stupid mistake. The good news: I learned that larger terrestrials do actually work...even for me.

Aint seen no fish tat dont love a cricket! Ha I love fishin em cause you can smack em down on the surface and it actually helps!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

I think I have a new addiction.

Welcome to the club BlueRaider...Love them hoppers!!