Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trail closures

Default trail closures

Trails Closed
    The Appalachian Trail (A.T.) will be closed from the Sweat Heifer junction to the Goshen Prong junction, from sunset on Tuesday, September 1 through 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2.
    The following trails will be closed from sunset on Tuesday, September 1 through 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2:

♦ Alum Cave Bluff Trail, entire length, except that persons with a reservation for Le Conte Lodge on September 1 or September 2 will be allowed to use the Alum Cave Bluff Trail for ingress and egress. Lodge guests will be prohibited from driving south of the Alum Cave Bluff trailhead during the Newfound Gap Road closure.
    ♦ Chimney Tops Trail, entire length
    ♦ Deep Creek Trail, from its junction with the Fork Ridge Trail to the Newfound Gap Road trailhead
    ♦ Fork Ridge Trail, entire length
    ♦ Forney Ridge Trail, from the junction with the Springhouse Branch Trail to the trailhead at the Clingmans Dome parking area
    ♦ Forney Creek Trail, from campsite #69 to the junction with the Forney Ridge Trail
    ♦ Kephart Prong Trail, from Newfound Gap Road trailhead to the Dry Sluice Gap Trail
    ♦ Noland Divide Trail, from the junction with the Noland Creek Trail to the trailhead on Clingmans Dome Road
    ♦ Road Prong Trail, entire length
    ♦ Sugarland Mountain Trail, from the junction with the Rough Creek Trail to the terminus at the A.T.
    ♦ Sweat Heifer Creek Trail, entire length
    ♦ Thomas Divide Trail, from the junction with the Sunkota Ridge Trail to the Newfound Gap Road trailhead
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

Thanks for keeping us up to date! What is the reason behind all these closures? Trail maintenance or something?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

the rededication of the park at new found gap with various big wigs present in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the park.

Sam--Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but I find it disconcerting at best that a Park which belongs to ALL the people can be shut down for bigwigs of any stripe. It's the second time this year, and while I'm excited abut 75 years, I'm disgusted at this elitism. Shutting down a campsite because of bear problems, road delays for repairs, and the like seem reasonable, but catering to those who are, as a British politician once ut it, "More equal than others" frosts my grits. I'd be intereseted in wht others think. Jim Casada
    P. S. This sort of thing has gone on for years--special folks getting to use the Calhoun House on Hazel Creek, the private enclave of cabins held by Knoxville big shots for decades, and continued use of horse trails despite the obvious and major damage they do (I've been told unofficially, ore than once, that some big wheels like to ride and no superintendent has had the guts to take the appropriate stance).

i agree on all points

I do not understand the need for trail closures. Is it a security issue? Are they worried someone will hike up Sweat Heifer and take a shop at these dignitaries? I can somewhat understand the car traffic issues at Newfound Gap but what is up with the trails and campsites?

it is security reasons and the list of persons invited.....and yes they are afraid someone will take a hike and crash the party.

Default So who's coming? That's alot of security!

I agree with others sentiment regarding closing of public places.

It was bad enough all my kayaker friends had to forgo the Little last week beacause of the crazy lady, but at least that was supposedly a rescue (You would think the kayakers would have helped find her as they are often the ones to find bodies floating in eddies).

Ooh well!

I am reading some armchair adventure books about maneating lions and tigers on the loose, which might be a good reason to justify closing the park. Just my 2 cents worth of tax dollars. I am looking forward to Ken Burns PBS
    program on the National Parks.
    Gone fishing.

So, anyone think there will be guns in the parks to protect these more equal persons?