Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Caddis

Default October Caddis

I've read several things recently about western October caddis, and was wondering if that is the same bug that we have here. I've fished 'em a bit smaller, about a #12, in the Hiwassee,and occasionally hear of 'em in other east Tennessee streams. Out west they seem to be #8's though. Any one know much about these?

sb
    Last edited by Stonefly; 09-09-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: dumb mistake
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Default October Caddis

Stonefly,
    The October Caddis will start showing itself in about 1-1/2 weeks from now and all through the rest of Fall until it frost hard. A size #12 will work nicely on most streams. They are noctornal creatures for the most part, but you will see them fluttering around from bush to bush occasionally during the daytime. You can tie good patterns with CDC feathers and light reddish blonde deer hair or just tie them as you would a large Elk Hair Caddis. They are one of the best dry flies for the late season. Good luck.
    Hugh
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
    smokymountainflyguide.com

Thanks much Hugh. Then it's true that we don't have the big #8's that are found out west?

Good to see you back on here, hope you're feeling good.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

stone, I picked up some 8 and 10's on a trip out West. I have used the 10's with success in the Smokies but the 8's seem to be too big.

Yes we have a smaller version of the Western variety of October Caddis, or Great Brown Autumn Sedges as they are know. Same family I think, just a different genus and species P. guttifer are the most common. They actually occur in some western locations as well. Don't overlook the pupa stage of this insect. It will often leave the case a day or two before it hatches and makes easy prey for trout. A size 10-12 hook is just about right.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/85436
    Last edited by flyman; 09-09-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Don't overlook the pupa stage of this insect." Agree, I used what was called an October Caddis Nymph that I had purchased in ID. The browns loved them.

Anyone who camps in the Park in late Sept. thru Oct. will have these caddis flies hanging around their lanterns....they are huge and more of a Texas burnt orange than a Volunteer orange....looks like something a big Brown would suck up late in the evening.

An orange stimulator size 12 with oversized hair will do.

If you shoot me your address I will send you some flies ( dry and larva) I use for this bug in the smokies and Va.

Default Bones

You talking to me? If you are, my e-mail is rsteven_baker at earthlink dot net

Thanks much.

sb