Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zap A Gap

Default Zap A Gap

I've been having issues with it clogging up the small knob near the tip of the vice (where the fly is held). I took it out and cleaned the threads (I have a Griffith Spider Vice). My question is two fold; A) Am I using too much if this is happening? and B) Do better vices have this knob or a similar part? I guess I need to start using the cone that goes on the end of the Zap A Gap bottle?

I'm confused? Why or how are you getting Zap a Gap on the threads? What are you using the Zap a Gap for?

If it is dripping off of the head and running down onto your vise then yes you are using too much. I haven't used zap a gap in a long time but you may experiment on how to store it so you can apply it with a bodkin/tooth pick like you would normally do with a head cement. I store varnish in small glass jars that I get at a hobby store. You may be able to do the same with zap a gap and then apply it with a toothpick instead of straight from the bottle. I'm not sure if it would kick and harden if you put it in the bottle though. Another option would be to squeeze a little out on a piece of wax paper and then apply it with a toothpick. I do this regularly with super glue. It is amazing how long super glue takes to harden if it is just a big drop sitting on a piece of plastic or wax paper.

As far as the question on your vise, I have a Renzetti Traveler and it has the course adjustment up near the top of the jaws like you describe.

Try some hard as hullit comes in a blue bottle, I used 2 coats for all of my saltwater patterns and kinda build it up in the fly dryer turning wheel, builds up nice, has a applicater brush much less messy, What kinda flies are you using the zap-a-gap for?
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

If you tie quill bodied flies, try supergue for a coating over the quill. Really adds durability.

Default Zap a gap

BRF I also use zap a gap but like suggested above I put a drop down and then apply with bodkin. You are probably too young to remember "a little dab will do ya" but that is all it takes. Hope this helps.
    Brian