Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Showers

Default Public Showers

After a couple of days fishing near Elkmont campground a shower would be real nice. However I have been told there aren't any showers in GSMNP free or pay. Is this correct and if so where might be the closest available??

Thanks
    Tom

Hmm...Truck drivers usually know where these things are. Maybe they have a website that will help you out.

Closest is probably back in Gatlinburg at the Happy Hiker. One block to the left off the main drag just after you come into town from the Park.

If you're already in Elkmont just hike up Little River a little ways, bring some biodegradeable soap and hop in the creek. It will be the fastest bath you've ever taken!

Bass Pro and maybe Cabelas sell a propane shower for around $100. They work great are well worth the cost, and we use it all the time. The problem is that the NPS does not allow solar or propane showers in the campgrounds- coliform bacteria contamination. But last spring, I watched a couple "walk?" their five dogs on an empty neighboring camp site and not use a "doggy bag". ANYWAY( PET PEEVE!!), since I can't use my propane shower, I just take it and use it to heat water in the tank and wash off.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

You guys actually take showers on your camping trips? I thought that was part of the experience, getting as gamey (sp?) as you possibly could.

Yea in the warm months I can work up quite a sweat setting my tent up as fast as i can so i can hit the streams, when my girlfriend gets there late as heck later that night she appreciates the fact that i froze my butt off rinsing (no soap...what soap?) in the cold water, not a good fall winter plan. I wonder why they do not have showers in the campgrounds? Yellowstone has lodges for goodness sakes, any idea?
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

Most of the bathrooms at the park camp grounds have slop sinks on the outside of the building. Warm up a little water, pour it in a bucket, do a sponge bath at the slop sink.
    Go inside of the bathroom, and use baby wipes for those near and dear spots.

On week long stays, i keep the camp setup, but at day 3 or 4 we get a room in town for a night to take a shower.

I hear ya kytroutman.
    Michael Corbin

I know there is at least one commercial campground in Townsend that allows you to pay for a shower.....I have also send a list posted somewhere....may be at the wood and ice station at Elkmont....of other campgrounds that allow pay as you go showers....