Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This should be interesting to find out.

Default Favorite...

...not to mention my most effective Smoky's rod is my 3 weight, 7' 9" St. Croix Legend Ultra, the older three piece model. It does great with dries or nymphs and can easily handle a dry, dropper rig.

Mike
    Last edited by pmike; 11-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    "Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Sage Fli 476-4 with dt 4wt line

Default rods

i have a 3wt babb bamboo 7ft,and a 5wt 7'6" that are great--have a scott 4wt fiberglass and a 5 wt redington(south fork) fiverglass that's fun to.have a 5 peice winston 4wt 7'9" thats gooood.several years ago i bought a little winston (not a retro) fiberglass rod 4wt that was fab-someone stole it out of my pickup-Bought a second hand bamboo (won't mention the builder)4wt 5 1/2 ft long,it was a club,like trying to cast with a louisville slugger-had a 3wt winston 8'3" 5 piece,that i gave to my grandson,it was an all time favorite and still is--there's no other rod has that feel like a winston,although i've noticed sage guys really like their rods--that new orvis rod is supposed to be fab-i like rods--about 10 years ago i went bamboo-and bamboo is what i like now

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    My 2 favorite rods for the mountainsa are
    1) my Winston BIIt 9' 4wt.
    2) my Scott G2 8'4" 3wt.

Both of these are fairly soft action rods and load well with just a little bit of line out. The longer rods give me a little more reach and allow me to keep more line out of the water. Sometimes, I more or less "dapp" the fly into likely looking runs and only have a few inches of fly line outside the tip.

Jeff
    Nice quill of sticks. People underestimate the long rod's effectiveness.

4X

I am really surprized (and pleased) to see all the winston fans on the board. I have two winstons but catch myself going more towards sage, I guesss just to have both. But I do love my winstons also. 9' 6wt and 8'6" 5wt im6.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I personally love catching fish on my orvis superfine 5 wt 7'6" rod. You can cast a dry all day with a flick of the wrist, while at the same time switch over to casting cone head buggers and the rod still does it with minimal effort. If I was going to be mostly nymphing I would use my Orvis Helios 8'6" 5 wt. I would like to get a 9' 5wt sage vt2 to try out though!

I like my TFO 8ft 4wt.

The Principle, what part of northeast alabama are you located? I am located here in gadsden and was wondering if you were close to me.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

For pure dry fly fishing on any of the streams, I really enjoy my lamiglass honey 6.5ft 3wt. a great little rod for backcountry spec fishing. , My second choice of rods and the one that gets used when I plan on nymphing is a St. Croix legend ultra 8.5ft 4wt.

Guess I'll be the oddball; Hardy Glass 3wt (made somewhere other than England) balanced with a made in Alnwick Featherweight. Poormans 'boo and it does both dries and some moderate nymhing, nothing like a conehead bugger though.