Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This should be interesting to find out.

I have two favorite brookie rods:

6' 2wt bamboo (strung with 1 wt line)
    5' (one-piece) 2wt bamboo - for really tight quarters

If I'm packing in, I have a 6' (4-piece) 2wt Superfine Trout Bum.

Chris

Has anyone had any experiences with the 3wt 9' tfo professional rods?
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I've cast one before and it felt great. I have the 4 wt and it's a nice rod as long as I'm casting dries or staying fairly light. I've pushed mine to the limit casting some weighted Crawdaddy and Bass patterns and it's a fairly slow rod in comparison to others that I have but still a great all around rod especially for the money. Needless to say it's a thrill to hang a 4 pound bass on it.

Default TFO Finesse

Flyred, I haven't had any with the pro 3wt. but have experience with the TFO Finesse series 7'9" 3wt, and 8'9" 4wt. I absolutely love them. They are a true med. action and great for dries and long leaders. The 4wt can easily toss a dry dropper rig, and i even toss tandem nymph rigs with one BH and a little lead or sz12 BH bugger with a little lead. The cast with the bugger is exactly the most beautiful thing, but it can toss it if need be. Or it could be my meager casting skills . Ive haven't really heard anyone talk about them much on here, but they are really nice little rods, definately worth the extra 30 bucks if you like a slower action.
    "All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish" -Harold F. Blaisdell

Has anyone fished a Sage VT2 9 ft in 5 wt? This is one I have been looking at for a while....just a thought at this point though.

JohnH0802,

I used this Sage in a 6 wt. (tried it out while in Alaska--my guide had one). It was a medium/fast action in my opinion. Good rod, but I think that I will stick with my Winston, TFO, & others for the money (one of my favorite rods is a pflueger 8 wt that I picked up at a local store while steelhead fishing in Washington).

My 2 cents.

I have actually cast the rods you are speaking of in the finesse series. They are quite nice. I cast a 8'9" just today. As for the sage vt2 rods I would like some idea on those myself. I have a launch 8wt that I love and would like to know more on the flight series if anyone has any info.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

FlyRed06,
    I can tell you that I love my Sage FLi 8wt 9' 4 piece fly rod. I have just starting fishing for redfish here in the lowcountry this year and I have caught over 40 redfish since July with it wading in the short spartina grass. The action I would classify is medium/fast, not too stiff and not to soft. It has cast into the wind well form me.

It is this experience with this rod that has me interested in the VT2 series rods.

If you look at my last couple of threads in saltwater fishing you can see pictures of me and my Fli with the fish that I caught.

John
    Last edited by JohnH0802; 11-18-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: left something out

My two fav rods are a White River Hobbs Creek HC7644 7' 6" 4wt and a St. Croix PF764 7'6" 4wt . I like the shorter rods in the mountains ' they cast dries and nymphs equally well for me. If I'm gona do strickly deep nymphing than I'll fish my St. Croix PF865 8' 6" 5wt it works well for high sticking but not too long .

Default 8', 4wt, brand not important

8', 4wt, brand not important.