Thread: Which Vise?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which Vise?

OK brief history. Last year I took the Beginner's Fly Tying Class at LRO. After the class I decided that $2/fly seems pretty resonable and didn't pursue tying. I have been fishing a lot of midges as a dropper lately and decided surely I could tie these things. I borrowed a friends vise and last Thursday evening tied up a dozen size 22 zebra midges. I only had about and hour to fish Friday but caught 3 fish in the first 15 minutes on one of my zebra midges and it was still holding together. I Think I may give this tying thing another try.
    I know that tying isn't really a way to save money and I know that I should probably experiment with several different vises.
    But I am just curious which vise you prefer and why. I want to get a decent vise, but I don't want to break the bank, so I am looking in the $200 dollar range.
    My front runner is probably the HMH Spartan - simple elegance
    close 2nd Renzetti Traveler - good price, full rotary, nice hook range
    also consider
    Peak Rotary
    Dyna-King Trekker
    Regal

So, if you have any experience with any of these vices and would like to offer your thoughts I would love to hear them. At this point it appears that I will mostly tie small stuff 18-24 (and could buy optional micro-jaw for the HMH). Next in my progression of tying might actually be to skip to the larger stuff like streamers. For now, I will probably keep buying the middle sized dries and nymphs. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Mike,

I got the Renzetti Traveler for Christmas last year and have no complaints. Please note that I have only been tying since then and have had limited exposure to other vices.

I think that I enjoy tying just as much as I do fishing.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

I just happen to have both those vises, along with a couple of others, but my Renzzetti is the older model with the knob type jaw tightening system. Both are great. they are the only ones I use. The Renzetti gives you a true rotary function which is nice, but not essential. I have had them for years. No problems with either.

Default Another vote for Renzetti

I really like my Renzetti Traveler. I have tied down to #24 with no hook slippage problems. While the rotary feature isn't a requirement for the flies you are talking about tying, its nice to have if you keep tying...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

I've had a Peak rotary for a couple years, tied hundreds of flies on it and the thing hasn't let me down yet.

I rarely use the rotary feature. I honestly should use it more but by the time I remeber it's a rotary vise, I"ve already tied a few flies.

I do like the peak vise tough.

It's a pedstal model and the only thing I would change would be the rod should be about 3" longer but other than that, it's a great vise for the stuff I tie.

Jeff

I also have both the Spartan and the Traveler, and like Silvercreek my Traveler is the screw-knob model. I personally prefer the Renzetti, great vise.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Renzetti travler is the way to go. Inexpensive yet great quality.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV