Thread: Nymph hook question

Question Nymph hook question

Why is it nymph hooks have tiny eyes like dry hooks, since we weight most of them for drifting correctly, why can we have bigger eyes for tying them to tippet. Old eyes would like to know if there is a technical reason ?
    fishhead

"cuz we always made them that way! Don't give some hook companies any ideas so they have a reason to raise prices again.

Seriously, I know someone does or used to make a larger "eyed" hook. Some other Ideas; 1) I read (about tying panfish flies) was to tie a normal length fly body on a longer shank hook leaving the front section bare to enable releasing panfish easier. I think this might be a help in tying on tippet (crowding the hook eye when tying). 2)Lefty K. suggests cutting tippet on an angle with a point to faciltate getting through the eye. 3) "Dollar Type" stores carry cheap reading glasses, I've got them stashed all over my house.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

Yeah, I clip tippets at an angle, use threader boxes, and "hat eyes" just seems like it would be a no brainer for the manufacturer. I figured there must be an underlying technical reason that I was missing.
    oh well !
    fishhead

I think it is Orvis that makes a larger/heavier eyed hook for fly tying. I thought about trying them out to see how well they work.

I believe Orvis calls these hooks, "Big Eye Hooks." They don't seem to have a bunch of varieties of them but maybe they don't need them yet because they haven't caught on?

Pat

You can't make them but so big without effecting the strength of the wire. Go to a hook with heavier wire like a 1 or 2 X strong, the hook eyes are usually a little larger.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

flyman that makes perfect sense. I had never thought about that but I think you are right on. I gave up on tying nymphs and moved on tho larger more friendly saltwater patterns for stripers. I called it an evolution to larger fish but it was simply getting to hard to tie on smaller flies. Now if I can catch a brown on these 2/0 owner hooks in this baitfish pattern I will definately be happy.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV