Thread: Why I Fly-Fish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why I Fly-Fish

This is a subject that I have spent countless hours contemplating over the years, and there are many reasons that I know of, and perhaps several reasons that I am not fully aware of. I fly-fish for the challenge of trying to outsmart a fish, which I fail miserably at sometimes. Fly-fishing sends my thoughts back to my youth when I was trout fishing with a Zebco 202 on a trout stream that ran through my grandpa's farm, and images of him encouraging me abound in my head while I'm fly-fishing. I fly-fish for the memories that I have and hope to make while backpacking and fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains, the companionship of good friends and the telling of tall tales. For me, fly-fishing puts me smack dab in the middle of some of the most beautiful scenery that the Creator has made, and it just doesn't get any better than that. Fly-fishing for me is much like reading a book that you know you will never get to the last chapter on, and it is a really good book.
    Dave

Speck Lover,

I really like the analogy of a great book without an end! Nothing like going back and reading old chapters again, too. As for out-smarting the fish, I like 'em good and dumb - one reason that I, too, am a speck lover.

This thread never gets old with all the different perspectives.
    Charlie B

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
    bartonca@hotmail.com

Speck Lover,

I agree with what you said completely. I must say that I was discouraged because of a shoulder problem and surgery last summer. I finally got back to do some fly fishing this week and must say that I have regained my passion again. It's really good to feel that excitement again.

Catching 4 trout helped but just being able to be in such a beautiful place and recharge the soul is why I love it.
    David

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
    I finally got back to do some fly fishing this week and must say that I have regained my passion again. It's really good to feel that excitement again.
    Good for you cardfly! My fishing has been put on the back burner for the past 3 months due assisting my father (and mother) with his cancer, but my passion is as strong as ever. I'm glad to hear that your passion has been rekindled.
    Dave

I recon Heaven will be the best great book with no ending. Just hope He has us some trout there. Thanks for the thread, Speck. Got me to thinking.
    May you fish more than you wish for.