Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: eating trout

Old Tom--Many grocery stores sell them, but of course that presents the "Pig in a poke" problem. If you are in Bryson City at the present you might want to check with the guy out Needmore way (close to Maple Springs) who does custom butchering and sells meat. I don't think it likely he renders the fat into lard but he might well know someone who does.
    Jim Casada

Old Tom--Many grocery stores sell them, but of course that presents the "Pig in a poke" problem. If you are in Bryson City at the present you might want to check with the guy out Needmore way (close to Maple Springs) who does custom butchering and sells meat. I don't think it likely he renders the fat into lard but he might well know someone who does.
    Jim Casada

A bear is about as bad as a hog for eating anything......but when camping, we never worried about pulling our potatoes up in a tree.....a bear won't touch'em. As mentioned before, they are mighty good fried along with a mess of trout.
    GM

As I sit here this morning and the therometer says 5 degrees this thread provided a little warmth. I started thinking about grilling a few trout stuffed with a clove of garlic and sun dried tomatoes.

But atlast I'm chicken and just can't find the intestional fotitude to wade a stream to catch the trout this morning. I'm up for starting the grill if someone else will take the plundge so to speak.
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

i remember a morning in july over 30 years ago, i caught 4 nice rainbows.....early morning....had fresh maters....fried the trout in meal and oil....best breakfast trout and maters...oh, and coffee
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

Default eats

You guys make my mouth water for all that good stuff. However, I say let the trout stay in the water. I much prefer bass or bream to trout. (personal taste of course) Never have acquired a taste for trout. My wife and I have tried it many times and in different ways and still do not care for it. The rest of all your suggestions is "good to go".

As somewhat of a re-rail, I had never been fond of trout but had never had a wild trout until this past summer. My daughter and I ate two trout caught from Deep Creek cooked with no more seasoning than a little salt and pepper on a grill over an open fire. I really didn't expect much but the fish was excellent, as good as any I have ever had. It was mild and almost sweet. I was surprised and had no idea there was such a difference in stocked fish and wild ones.

I look forward to the day I can eat another. It's just hard to improve on nature.