Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wind Knots.....help

Thanks so much for the info. I also suffer from the tailing loop problem. I'm (mostly) self taught and I think that my problem is applying power too early in the cast. I need to go get the fly rod out in the yard and practice some I think.

A "casting critique" session at TroutFest would be awesome. There may already be one on the schedule, but if not it'd be a great addition.

--Matt

I am a relative newbie to this sport and had the same problems with wind knots, the first thing I did was to get rid of the nail knot, cortland makes loop tips for your fly line so you can use loop to loop connections instead of a nail knot. This also makes changing your leader much easier. That eliminated 75% of my wind knot troubles, for the other 25%, follow the good casting advise from the previous posts.
    Tad

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    KYtroutbum,
    Agreed. It's one of the easiest concepts to understand and one of the hardest for me to do. My biggest problem in casting is to not rush the front cast. I know what I should do and about 80% of the time I do it, the other 20% is when I'll run into problems. Over the past couple years, I've gotten better. It's when I am in the middle of a bunch of rising fish and get excited and start rushing things...

Great thread.

Jeff
    Not big deal but just a note because we been confused a couple times before-Kytroutbum and Kentuckytroutbum are two difference people.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    Not big deal but just a note because we been confused a couple times before-Kytroutbum and Kentuckytroutbum are two difference people.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum
    Sorry 'bout confusing the names.

I'm from Kentucky and, according to my wife, I'm a general purpose bum who doesn't restrict his "bumness" to trout.

Jeff

Another culprit can be trying to lift and cast too much line, I've marked my lines where I feel comfortable to make a cast and have greatly reduced windknots and tangles.

One of my biggest problems with tailing loops was always trying to force my final cast too much. Your final forward cast should not take any more force than your back cast. What also helped me a bunch was to cast with an open stance so that I could see my back cast out of the corner of my eye. And lastly I video tape myself casting in the yard. It is amazing what you will see and sometimes it takes seeing it to understand what is wrong. Oh yeah and just fish more, it will come

Yeah and don't forget we have some great casting pros headed this way for http://www.troutfest.org