Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: big brown

That big brown didn't get that way by being dumb, and i bet he/she has seen a poacher or two in its time, my money is on the brownie, till the snow melts and I venture up there! Plus are poachers reading this site you think? as a result of this what do ya'll think? If i was trying to poach fish i would probably head to a rural stocked section after dark, I don't know anything about poaching I keep next to nothing i catch but that just seems logical? now where was he again?
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Boy View Post
    That big brown didn't get that way by being dumb, and i bet he/she has seen a poacher or two in its time, my money is on the brownie, till the snow melts and I venture up there! Plus are poachers reading this site you think? as a result of this what do ya'll think? If i was trying to poach fish i would probably head to a rural stocked section after dark, I don't know anything about poaching I keep next to nothing i catch but that just seems logical? now where was he again?
    I'm not saying poachers. My point was pressure from fisher persons in general. So far this thread has been read 499 times and only nine different people have replied. That is a lot of window shopping.
    Last edited by GrouseMan77; 03-02-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Ah indead, tonight is my I got off early cuz of the snow and found a few beers night, well in that case I will adjust my post and say that seeing as how 80% or so of the folks who wet a line in the park don't catch anything more lively than a dendrum, and he/she is 30 inches, which is basically the size of a naval submarine, I feel that Mr. brown is probably already got lock jaw and will live out his days unhooked.
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"

I am one of the window shoppers, but I have no intention of going up there. The big brown would die if I went...............die of laughter as it swam off laughing at me stumbling down the bank then throwing my flies in the trees before finally making a decent cast only to get hung under a rock and break off. At least that is how 2 of my last 3 fishing trips have gone.

Dang, I fished under the bridge last June and all I caught was a 10-incher! Maybe he tripled his size in 7 months? One of the guys I was with saw one about that size on up the Middle Prong. And only we know where it is! lol
    Last edited by Knothead; 03-03-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Maybe this post will have all of the fisherman and women going after this monster brown, and thus freeing up all the rest of the streams in the park for me

Browns are funny....catch a lot of them in the 8-12" range during most times of the day...then once they get above this size they seem to disappear or become more selective....think this is when they start eating more protein and looking for bigger lairs...largest brown I have caught on a dry fly was a 14" up above Elkmont....these big 'uns everyone sees are generally in areas that are frequented by a large number of fishermen during the course of the year so I think everyone is right that they are probably too smart for the most of us....

when I come down there in four weeks he better be right were you guys said! Go back there occasionally and check on her for me

Seriously though, Around here, I catch my biggest bass real early in the year (right after ice-off). It seems the big ones get a little easier to catch early in the year. But once the water warms up and people are more prevelant, those fish are nothing but a memory. Is that the way those browns are? you guys that catch them, do you catch them early?...or do you catch 'em when there are less folks around?

There are a bunch of stockers alot bigger than that hanging around under the bridges in townsend. I spent a good bit of time Saturday watching them with an old feller who was drinking natural light and trying to catch them unsuccessfully. Given that there are a lot bigger fish for the "poachers" with much less of a drive I find it very amusing and entertaining all the concern and hand wringing over the location of this one particular fish.

Default Big Brown Abducted

Okay, here's the deal. I caught the big brown this morning on a #22 Griffith's Gnat and have moved him to an secret location unharmed. I am seeking $500.00 in ransom for the big brown's whereabouts. I will accept Cash, Check, MasterCard, VISA, or Prepaid Phone Cards. If I don't hear anything within 48 hours, he will be sleeping with the fishes.
    Last edited by Speck Lover; 03-03-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Dave