Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: big brown

He already sleeps with the fishes. Maybe he will sleeping with the grease? Silvercreek

Default Big brown

I venture to say that the bigger browns become nocturnal in their habits. Sports Afield, about 50 years ago, had an article about fishing for big browns at night with large floating flies as a mouse. Always wanted to try that on the Hiwassee when the generators were off and fishing the deeper runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    I venture to say that the bigger browns become nocturnal in their habits. Sports Afield, about 50 years ago, had an article about fishing for big browns at night with large floating flies as a mouse. Always wanted to try that on the Hiwassee when the generators were off and fishing the deeper runs.
    I have a couple mouse imitation flies that my parents brought me from a trip to Alaska. I've never tried fishing one, but I've also heard that a big trout will take interest in a mouse imitation. I'd love to give it a shot on a warm summer night
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

To asnwer your question jross, most of the science behind brown trout and their nocturnal ways is centered around their eyesight and how it is much better in darker conditions than bows and brookies. I have zero support to back this up but I have several theories, one. browns are ambush predators who tend to stay hiddin, where? in the shadows waiting for their prey so it would make sence that they can see better than what they are gonna crush which brings me to my second theory, a brown trout will eat just about anything, they are the rivers version of a largemouth bass, as a result of this I wonder if in their own way they asume all other animals around them are the same way, and if so that, with better eyesight, could attribute to their nocturnal ways? Sorry too much thinking, they do it at nite cause they can see it and crush it without getting drilled by a heron?
    If it swims throw a fly at it!

Barry Murphy
    828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
    "Healing Those Who Serve"