Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everglades

Oh, one other thing, we went in January (just after Christmas) and it was perfect. The bugs (mosquitoes) apparently die down during that time but pretty quickly come back, so either bring a lot of Deet or a head net or something.

I was just thinking of a fellow who guides on the canals in the Miami area. He doesn't leave anything in his car and leaves the windows down so thieves won't break the windows looking for stuff to steal. Thought this was interesting how he copes with the local crime problem.
    If you are looking to fish Lake Okeechobee, basser Roland Martin has a marina and motel in Clewiston, FL.
    Last edited by Knothead; 03-09-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add comment

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and help on the Everglades. Unfortunately the fishing was off, probably largely due to a big fish kill this past winter when the water temperatures dropped much lower than normal. The snook in particular were hammered. Anyway, I finally got some pictures, etc., up on my blog for those that are interested. The wildlife proved to be much more interesting than the fishing although I hope to go back sometime to do a dedicated fishing trip when the conditions are better...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

David,

Sorry to hear that the fishing was not as good as anticipated, but still looks like you had a very fun trip. By the way, the photos from the trip are phenomenal.

David,
    Enjoyed your notes and pictures on the florida trip. What kind of canoe do you have.
    It must be very stable to brave the salt .

My canoe is an Old Town...not a particularly great one but it definitely gets the job done. It handled the waves beautifully, much better than I expected...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog