Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporary Closures Due To Repaving For 2010

Thanks for the input.

To me if the park is closed in that area, it is closed.

The streams in and around the Mingus Creek area
    look rather interesting to fish for a day.

Any thoughts?

I can remember when the LR road was closed for bridege and road repairs for over a year and there was no way in to Elkmont....could not walk the roads or ever ride a bike...but the rangers OK'd getting into the area by alternate trails....a buddy and I were going to come in off of Clingman's Dome but one of the rangers suggested hiking over Huskey's Gap...anyway the road closure did not close down the area....

Quote Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
    I can remember when the LR road was closed for bridege and road repairs for over a year and there was no way in to Elkmont....could not walk the roads or ever ride a bike...but the rangers OK'd getting into the area by alternate trails....a buddy and I were going to come in off of Clingman's Dome but one of the rangers suggested hiking over Huskey's Gap...anyway the road closure did not close down the area....

Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail will close to vehicle traffic for the winter on November 30, 2009 and will not reopen until May 28, 2010 due to road repaving. The road will be open to pedestrian and bicycle use from November 30 until February 14, but will be closed to all public use, including hiking, bicycling, and auto touring from February 15 until May 28, 2010.

I think if it didn't have the hiking clause in it I might consider it.

To get to any part of the stream inside of the park boundry you would have to either drive or hike to it.

Man...this is like work...being a lawyer I get paid to argue but here it is on my own time...looking at your quote I would argue the key work is "road"...as in "the road will be closed to public use"....Roaring Fork can be accessed from the Park boundary by fishing up the stream....as I said earlier to do this and not use the road would dictate walking back out down the the streambed....if you are down in this first part of the stream up to the first bridge you can't get to the road anyway unless you are a mountain goat or an Army Ranger....