Thread: help with the mtn laurel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default help with the mtn laurel

so Abby has never seen the mtn laural bloom and was talking about when that may happen.......cha-ching......a great chance for me to get back down....

now I need help....when does the mtn laurel start blooming?

thanks for any help....

bob
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Buckeyetrouter--It depends on the elevation (figure about two weeks difference for every 1,000 feet of elevation change), but you'll find in blooming from May through early July, with the first two weeks of June probably being the peak. That's also an absolutely wonderful time to be wandering in the Smokies if you love wildflowers--it's the peak of the spring bloom.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Lightbulb I think....

It starts blooming in Janurary, again in Februrary, March, April........
    and it only blooms on trout streams each day of each month.

Hey you were looking for an excuse to get back down...sorry couldn't resisit, I ve been picking up bad habits from some of these other jokers around here.

Botanically speaking (generally) it blooms between may and june... I'm not sure about the geographic specifics.

After a smart**s comment like that, I shouldn't have the nerve to ask but I saw this post from you and it reminded me that I wanted to ask you about the materials for that beautiful glowing green weenie on your avatar...I searched for the recipie the other day but never found it...could you help a misguided soul?

All in fun, all in fun

As a bonus, the rhododendrons will peaking around the same time, and the wild azaleas on the balds as well!

thanks guys, we are going to be down mid June for a Christian Fly Fishers camp out so it sounds like we will hit it just about right.....

Plunker, I'm gonna use that first line as my standard excuse from now on
    truth is she fly fishes also so I really don't need to prod her. As for the material for the Blood Green Weenie I don't know what it is called.....I found it at a hobby lobby in a clearance bin and haven't seen it since. I do have a bit of it that I would send to you if you want to try some. all I did is lay down some red ultra wire and then tye the weenie over it.....let me know if you want me to send some to you....

Bob
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Default Gotcha Bob

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
    I found it at a hobby lobby in a clearance bin and haven't seen it since. I do have a bit of it that I would send to you if you want to try some. all I did is lay down some red ultra wire and then tye the weenie over it.....let me know if you want me to send some to you....

Bob
    I think i know what that is...or know of a good substitute. The close up really helped. Looks like some of that stuff you'd use in cub scouts to tie those braided lanyard key chain thingys. Though this stuff looks a little "foamy" and round rather than flat. I haunt the local Hobby Lobby regularly and think I can scare some reasonable facsimilie up.
    If I find some that works I'll give you a shout out.

Appreciate the info!!!

Buckeyetrouter...these aren't very clear pictures, as they were taken years ago, but this was at around 3,000 ft on July 4th if that helps any.

By the way...Lima, OH...do you know Jerry Maus? Just curious.

Grannyknot--I don't know anything about your roots, but the photos you posted intrigue me. They aren't mountain laurel, they are rhododendron, but many of the old timers in the Smokies once called rhododendron laurel and called mountain laurel ivy or bush ivy. I just wondered if you are of that ilk and whatever the case, it tickled my fancy and took me straight back to memories of my paternal grandfather--a truly nice moment of nostalgia.
    Jim Casada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
    Grannyknot--I don't know anything about your roots, but the photos you posted intrigue me. They aren't mountain laurel, they are rhododendron, but many of the old timers in the Smokies once called rhododendron laurel and called mountain laurel ivy or bush ivy. I just wondered if you are of that ilk and whatever the case, it tickled my fancy and took me straight back to memories of my paternal grandfather--a truly nice moment of nostalgia.
    Jim Casada
    Yeah, I know there's a difference, and I figured someone would call me on it. I just assumed thats what he meant.