Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creeling Question

Default Creeling Question

When creeling fish is it best to go ahead and clean the fish or do you just put it in your creel as is?
    John 3:16

I rarely kill fish, but when I do, I clean them right away. They are much easier to clean, and particularly the black vein on a trout's spine. Plus, if you clean them immediately, I believe they do not break down as fast.

I always clean a trout immediately if it is going to be kept.

Ice them down, then when I get home I rinse and clean.

I release wild trout, but ice stock trout.
    Wild trout are so beautiful and hard to catch so I gently ease them back into the current if I am lucky enough to catch one.
    Stock trout go in the skillet.
    Gone fishing.

I have been wondering about this as well. I have never killed a wild trout, but plan to eat some (if I catch one big enough) while on an upcoming camping trip.

What do you do with the guts, throwing them in the stream doesn't seem right, throwing them on the bank doesn't seem right.

I saw some crows eating the fish scraps on the rocks this morning.
    Gone fishing.

If you leave the entrails in the stream, crayfish and hellbenders will take care of them overnight. Jim Casada
    P.S. I've said this before but wil do so again. On most Park streams (where there are only wild trout) you are actually doing the fish a favor by keeping them. Most Park streams are overpopulated. Also, hatchery-raise fish cannot, unless they have been in a stream for a good while, hold a candle, taste-wise, to wild trout.
    On the matter of ice, I guess that's fine, but it isn't exactly a readily available comodity when fishing in the backcountry. As to when to clean trout, in cool weather it isn't necessary to do it immediately. In warm weather it isn't a bad idea, although I'm not going to stop all fishing to do this. I don't creel fish every time I go, but I will conesss, and not shamefacedly, that over 60+ years of fishing in the Park, I've robably kept over 2000 limits (strting at 10, then 7, then 5 fish). Jim Casada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
    you are actually doing the fish a favor by keeping them.

Can I ask what you base that statement on?

Quote Originally Posted by AKSkim View Post
    Can I ask what you base that statement on?
    Growth studies. Pretty much all of the streams in the Smokies the trout stunt. By keeping a few, you reduce competition and allow the others to grow to a little larger size.