Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Creeling Question

I have no problem killing wild trout if I plan to eat them that day. As for doughbellys I really do not care for the taste of a trout raised on dog food in a concrete tank.

On a side note, am I the only one who kills their fish instantly when they plan on keeping them? I love to eat trout, but I hate to see them suffer a slow death in a creel or on a stringer. I usually kill the fish with one quick blow and in my mind I feel better knowing he really didn't suffer a slow death.

No you're not the only one WNCFLY. And I didn't mean to imply from previous posts that I just throw them in the creel and let them flop around until they die. We do the same - lay them down on a flat rock and give them a sharp whack upside the head with the side of a sharp stone. Then they go into the creel.

WNCFly--Enjoyed your post for two reasons. (1) It was the first time I had seen or heard anyone (other thasn myself) refer to hatchery-raised trout as doughbellies in a long time. I wholeheartedly agree that they do not match the taste of wild trout--not even close, although time in the creek and a decent diet does gradually change things. (2) I too kill the trout I creek immediatedly, albeit in a different way. I stick the point of a knife into the top of their head. I don know which the PETA folks will like best, your version of a Smoky Mountain "priest" or my cutting.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Jim or anyone else - suggestions on where to get a good creel? I have looked around a little before but couldn't find one that was to my liking. Thanks.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Breezed through this forum at a glance but seems like some good chat going on about grubbin on some trout. My two cents when it comes to this issue is any fish you plan on keeping should bleed out while alive (blood is a nidus for potential pathogens); normally I would do this by pulling out some gills and then letting the fish bleed out in the water (on the issue of ethics, the acute shock the animal would go into will render the animal unconscious rather quickly followed soon by death, the same principle that commercial beef cattle and swine slaughter operations rely on as they stun the animal and quickly follow with cutting of the animals major arteries and veins of the neck). Once the trout is bled, keep it as cool as possible and the earlier you eviscerate the better (also do not puncture the intestinal tract when removing). I like keepin the heads on my fish because you can use the eyes as a decent indicator that the fish is fully cooked, because they will turn white. Also, you want to remove the gills prior to cooking, something I normally do at the same time as when I field dress the fish. Gettin hungry now....

Jason--I'm partial to wicker creels, both because they are traditional but also thanks to the fact they do wonderful double duty as lunch pails (just wait to after lunch to begin creeling fish, which makes sense anyway because they don't need to keep so long). I'm betting that Byron and the folks at Little River Outfitters have wicker creels in stock or can get one for you.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Jim, thanks for the response. I don't recall having seen them in the shop but I'll be sure to give LRO a call tomorrow.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

I have always (at least since I was 5) quickly rapped a trouts head on the sharp edge of a rock if I was going to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by old tom View Post
    HAVE YOUR SON Clean them streamside in a small eddy. Flick the guts and head (sorry - I'm a wuss and can't eat them looking at me) into some faster moving current.
    There. Fixed that for you.

Tommy