Thread: Flies for white bass

Default Flies for white bass

I live near a pretty good sized river that gets a good white bass run this month. I want to try the fly rod for these fish. I am thinking typical streamer patterns that I have for bass. I am thinking Clouser Minnows and Beadhead Wooly Buggers. Any other suggestions? I thought about some Zonkers as well. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Those puglesie minnows that byron sales are great, match the size of bait and hang on, Nearly indestructable as well. Cant go wrong with zonkers although they sometimes have to much action, but on a spawning run I wouldnt worry to much about that.
    Lynn

My top fly for white bass is easy. Take a standard length #6 or #8 hook. Wrap a layer of lead or lead-free wire for a base. Next cover the wire with white thread. Take a marabou feather and tie in the tips as a tail (like a wooly bugger). Instead of cutting the feather off, wrap it forward to the eye of the hook and then tie it in. Make a few tight wraps up and back down the shank to secure the marabou because it will get chewed up in a hurry. Whip finish and you're done...one of the easiest flies ever and the white bass love this pattern...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    My top fly for white bass is easy. Take a standard length #6 or #8 hook. Wrap a layer of lead or lead-free wire for a base. Next cover the wire with white thread. Take a marabou feather and tie in the tips as a tail (like a wooly bugger). Instead of cutting the feather off, wrap it forward to the eye of the hook and then tie it in. Make a few tight wraps up and back down the shank to secure the marabou because it will get chewed up in a hurry. Whip finish and you're done...one of the easiest flies ever and the white bass love this pattern...
    I can speak to the effectiveness of David's pattern. Simple and deadly!