Thread: Stones River Rock Bass

Default Stones River Rock Bass

I have read reports on various bulletin boards concerning rock bass in Middle Tennessee, but always assumed that they were talking about the 4" - 5" rock bass that I caught years ago.
    So, wow was I surprised when I hit the Stones River (Rutherford County) yesterday evening with my flyrod to catch some bass. I did catch one 12" largemouth, but the big surprise was the rock bass that I caught, the largest being 12". Wow, I thought that I had hooked a 5 or 6 lb. bass. He must have been 2 1/2" - 3" thick. I am a catch and release guy, but thought about keeping him, but didn't.
    I thought that he might me close to a record, (shows how little I know), but the state record is 2 lb. 8 oz, caught in the Stone River by the way, in 1958.
    Maybe I will fish our warm water rivers and streams more often, especially while the Caney is not fishing well.
    Wm in the Boro

I caught my biggest "rockbass" last week also. They do hit pretty hard but seem to give up and come to hand quickly. I was fishing for smallies so I was using a 7wt. Not much of a fight on it but they are fun on a 2-3 wt.

This was 10" and very thick bodied also. I don't know what the state fly rod record for one is. A 12" rockbass might be worth checking into if you've got pictures to send in to TWRA.