Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Bite

Talking Snake Bite

Not to deter anyone, but be mindful when walking through large rocks, and downed timber.
    Spring break a couple of weeks ago..... no, the 1st of April, I was fishing Snowbird with my fishing buddy
    He did something he never does and hopped in the water swimming downstream toward me right through the water I was fishing. I scolded him mildly, and felt bad about it. It was a beautiful day and I noticed he had taken up his position at my right hip, and he was shaking.... Water temp 50 deg, and air in the 60's; strange. I said; Cooter what is wrong with you? He didn't answer, rarely does, but went to the bank and proceeded to shake some more and began to druel. I wondered if he was having a stroke? He wouldn't move when I urged him to go with me back to the cabin, he was out of it, that was apparent. I left him and went for help. When I got back with help we found the bite on his ankle. I had gone down a steep bank over a boulder field, he went through and evidently got hit going through... twice. He is doing much better now, but still shows some necrosis around the bite. The snake got him twice right on the ankle, where he had little fur.
    Anyway keep an eye open for the snakes, it is that time of year.
    Best,
    John

John - hope he makes a full and quick recovery.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Man hope he makes a full recovery. I hate to hear that but I truly wish you and him the best. I know how it is to have your best friend hurt or sick.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! It's a good thing he was a large breed, I've always been told that a large breed can withstand a bite better than a small breed. Any truth to that old saying?? flyguys

Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Smile That must be a "Snakey Spot"

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

I saw 3 rattlers 2 years ago in that exact location. In fact he looked like that one with lots of black. One I almost jumped on (landed 6 inches away) one,glad he slithered off the rock and away from me before I jumped back to the middle of the river. I've always heard Elkmont had alot of snakes, maybe there is really something to that.

Glad I haven't seen one of those when fishing the Little River, but I do know they are plenty of them around. This time of year when you see one, be assured there are more around. They have not moved too far from their dens just yet with the cool nights.

As for other snakes, I always see plenty of northern water snakes on the Little. I think they have been planted there to keep the fishermen in check.

Here is an article that might be helpful to everyone just in case always keep an eye out we seen a rattler at Elkmont that stretched across the road almost covering both lanes.

http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_tre...e/skills/13082

Thanks for the reminder John. My fishing partner stays on the bank when I take her, and that is even more dangerous.

I need to be more careful about where she is from now on.
    Hope all is well with cooter...keep us posted.

I'm glad the guys o.k. I worry about my dogs often when they are out hiking. My beagle was bit in the face by a snake in our backyard.