Thread: Long hike for brookies?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Long hike for brookies?

Hey, I might be making a trip down to the Smokies this weekend and was hoping someone could help me out. My friends love long hikes, so I was hoping someone could suggest a long hike (between 3-7 miles) that would take us to a campsite near a brookie stream. We are only camping for one night, so there won't be much fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Try campsite 30 up the Little River Trail above Elkmont....this is a 6.2 mile hike with an elevation change of 1200 ft....estimates are for a 2.6 hour hike in...this will put you in what is known as the Three Forks area....can catch a slam from this one location...you could stop at campsite 24...Rough Creek...which is a 4.2 mile hike and then fish up towards 30...

That's a good hike, and you can definitely get into some good fish... hike is mostly flat up to 24 then gets a little steeper on up to 30.
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried this area and loved it. I was actually hoping that someone could recommend something different. I am wanting to explore some more areas of the smokies. Any other suggestions?

Try camping over at Smokemont, drive up to the last bridge on Straight Fork and start fishing.....there is a manway or old trail on the right hand side as you look upstream that will make the walk out a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bias5246 View Post
    My friends love long hikes, so I was hoping someone could suggest a long hike (between 3-7 miles) that would take us to a campsite near a brookie stream. We are only camping for one night, so there won't be much fishing.
    This is probably more information that you want, but here is a list of Campsites (by CS#) that are above 3000', sorted by elevation that are over 3 miles away from a Trailhead (TH)...

Campsite #28 is out, since its closed to fishing and you have already done #30. 68 and 61 are out (for now) as well, since I believe Clingman's Dome Rd is closed.

If you are willing to open your options a bit and camp at 2500' and hike up to brookie waters and/or are willing to do a shorter hike of 2.5miles or greater, you have more options:

Like I said, more info than you probably wanted....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Wow, I appreciate it. I will have to look this over.

Big Creek has some great tribs full of Brook trout with backcountry campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
    This is probably more information that you want, but here is a list of Campsites (by CS#) that are above 3000', sorted by elevation that are over 3 miles away from a Trailhead (TH)...

Campsite #28 is out, since its closed to fishing and you have already done #30. 68 and 61 are out (for now) as well, since I believe Clingman's Dome Rd is closed.

If you are willing to open your options a bit and camp at 2500' and hike up to brookie waters and/or are willing to do a shorter hike of 2.5miles or greater, you have more options:

Like I said, more info than you probably wanted....
    Dude, where did you get that spreadsheet? Can you share?
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
    Dude, where did you get that spreadsheet? Can you share?
    Send me an e-mail: PeteCz at Charter dot net

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."