Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much time fishing

Default fishing time

Since I have retired I am able to spend much more time on fun things, like fishing, among others. Last spring when I rediscovered fly fishing, I started keeping a log of every trip to the rivers. In 2009, there were 53 entries. So far this year, there are 21. I live in Knoxville so short runs to the Clinch or the park usually average 4 to 5 hours on the water. If it's a longer run, say to Hiwassee or South Holston, I'll try to put in a minimum of 6 hours. Mr. Casada hit the nail on the head about when it is time to quit, diminished enthusiasm, fatigue (as in near miss falls), darn, missed another strike, those kind of things signal when it is time for me to give it up for the day. Also I fish alone most of the time which causes my wife undue worry if I am really late returning home.
    As soon as she retires I am putting her in waders too and we are heading west!

I to started a log this year. I think i have logged around 50 hours so far. It will go good for awhile than it will go downhill in July and August. Too Hot, and no water.

Quote Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
    I usually fish until my back goes out, or lunch time whichever comes first.
    Hey, I'm not alone! Me too. Or my knee. whichever goes first. LOL
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website

I fish til I have nothing else to prove.
    Lynn

Amount of time on the water, of course, varies on the circumstances but do what I can to minimize down-time (e.g., 'rigging up' the night before) so that I'm 'ready to go' once I get out of the truck. Funny thing, though, my estimate of time consistently seems to differ from my wife's ('you were gone a long time' 'really, thought it was only about an hour' 'nope, almost had rangers looking for you' (which she did one time), etc.) - - any way I've 'figured out' that the problem is my watch seems to change time-zones as soon as I make that first cast. Also, that one-last-cast at times is like that one-more-beer; it just doesn't seem to work out that way (especially, when it seems like the trout start rising/hiting just about time I'm supposed to be back at camp).

Fishstu

Default going till i shouldn't

as often as i can, i stay in/on the water till exhaustion. several times i've found myself slipping much more towards the day's end than at the beginning. when i do get the rare chance to venture all day, i make sure when i'm approaching the end to slow my pace (which i don't always do).

also, i don't if anybody else has had this experience but i've spoken with a few friends and some of them knew it exactly. On occasion, i've found myself on some trail or creek and just had to keep going, no matter what. the feeling was like some primal urge to just go as far as i could and then go further. a very irrational and potentially dangerous situation. as scary as it's arrival is, once that feeling hits only rarely have i been able to resist it.

So many prongs... so little tine.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Thumbs down

looks like the rain is gonna put me behind this month. Probably no fishing until at least sunday. Thre first eight days of may with no fishing.

Until dark, or 30 mins prior to dark in the park. Most of my best nettings have been in the 30-45 mins prior to dark. As far as how many hours I usually fish, however many I have left until I can't see.
    May you fish more than you wish for.

Time exists on the water?