Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp'in

Default Carp'in

I am intrested in hearing how some of you guys fish for Carp.

I went on my first outing for Carp today and did ok i caught 5 total with the biggest being 7lbs. i lost a couple of good ones. The method I used was.....Corn!!!!!!!! I took hand fulls of corn and chumed the water good. The soaked a yellow wolly worm in the corn juice. I had read that they can smell a mile, and to use cover sent on your fly. I woul make cast in the middle of the schools strip the fly back real slow untill the line tightened.

Anyways lets hear what you guys do, and now i have caught a carp i want to catch some big grass carp. Waterwolf how did you catch'em at the mouth of hinds creek

Heck, you might as well being throwing dough balls at the fish. No wonder you caught 5. Only jabbing at you. I have o.k. luck throwing nymphhs, crawdads, buggers, or crazy charlies. I've never tried soaking them in any kind of scent though. You just have to locate them and find which ones are feeding and present the right fly in the right place at the right time. Sounds easy doesn't it.

white woolly buggers thrown to cruising carp. SJ worms, rubber legged dragons, small crawfish imitations works pretty well for rooting fish.

Brown with yellow leg wooly buggers. I also like trying to get them to take black nats or black caddis off the top. Now that is hard.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Black foam beetles and super buggers are my go to flys, also use a rubber legged haresear.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
    Black foam beetles and super buggers are my go to flys, also use a rubber legged haresear.
    Lynn
    I've used black foam patterns also... Boy, the cicada hatch a couple of years ago was fun!

WW and I went carp fishing once back in the day, and we did pretty much exactly what you did except we used spinning tackle if memory serves correctly.
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
    WW and I went carp fishing once back in the day, and we did pretty much exactly what you did except we used spinning tackle if memory serves correctly.

If memory serves you correctly? ha those must have been back the days ol' woods told me about.... just wanking your chain man

For some reel fun, Melton Hill has some great shallow flats that you can wade and stalk feeding carp (fresh water bonefishing). The islands in reactor bend area are a great place, as well as the coves just down from the Solway bridge. Be sure to wear some old shoes or wading booties, in case of glass. I landed a 27 pounder a few years ago. The willow fly hatch on Watts Bar is the ultimate for top water action, lots of orange o-rings to cast to.

Seagull whats the best way to get to the reactor area and the islands.
    Lynn