View Poll Results: Brand of Leader You Use?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Climax

1 3.45%
  • Cortland

0 0%
  • Frog Hair

5 17.24%
  • Orvis

10 34.48%
  • Rio

13 44.83%
  • Scientific Anglers

1 3.45%
  • Umpqua

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leader of Choice?

Rodonthefly...the ones I use are made by John Quigley...he is a guide in the San Francisco area...go to eBay and look under furled leaders....he sells them on eBay but scroll thru the information part of the listing and he has a website where he lists all the sizes and colors for direct purchase...think he now takes paypal and has not charge shipping in the past...these are as reasonable as I can find and the quality if good.

Thanks Rog, i will check that out for sure.

Wilson why didnt you vote for that Orvis mirage'? i thought you liked that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
    Wilson why didnt you vote for that Orvis mirage'? i thought you liked that stuff
    I did vote Orvis Leaders. But that Mirage tippet I bought last time must have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. It's cost me quite a few fish here lately and you know it!
    For Tippet I'm gonna stick to frog hair, rio, or pay the extra $$ for some seaguar. Everyone is talking about how great that stuff is, but I have not yet tried it out.

I always buy mono leaders and just tip them with flouro.
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Interesting...I may have to try this out...How much fishing would you say you get out of the tippets? I change tippet like it is going out of style...

The leader on now is the same one I put on last spring, and the tippet section is the same one too, I tie on extra tippet, so it might be a foot shorter but it is still the same leader. With the braided leaders you don't get the bends and kinks in it like the old tapered leaders. Give one a try and you should be more than happy, I think the Orvis' are around 9 dollars.

I used to use the Orvis braided leaders because I fish mostly the smaller creeks where you had to put the fly in the keeper to get around obstructions and like Millerdvr said you did not have to take out the kink where the leader bends around the tip top.I always used the red can Mucilin to rub into the braid which helped keep leader spray to a minimum.I use either Orvis,Umpqua,or Rio knotless tapered leaders nail knotted to the fly line now.I get which ever ones LRO has in stock when I buy them,the last time I bought leaders there it was the 9' 6x Umpqua that they had so that is what I am using now.I do highly recommend the braided leaders for folks that are digitaly challenged when it comes to knots because the only knots you need to know are the surgeons to make the loop for a new tippit and whatever knot you use to tie the fly on.

Thumbs up

Was a Frog Hair user, but due to the cost, tried RIO and have been using
    them ever since. Found they cast well, they are tough, and are some of
    the least expensive.
    "Evil prevails when good men do nothing"

Interesting and informing posts! I was surprised that I was the only Climax user. I think I need to try a few Rios... Thanks for the input fellas...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Default The Knotless Leader by Scientific Angler

Hi Guys
    I know most of you are not into this leader, but I used it the other day and really liked the way it performed. I did a post on my blog about it.

http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife....ic-angler.html

Since I saw a demostration at our local TU chapter meeting of making furled leaders that is all I use. From my 3wt to my 9wt saltwater they all have furled leaders. I have ordered the saltwater ones from Feathercraft, some of the others I gotten from Timsfliesandlies.com shop in Lynchburg, Tn. and a couple for Toobusy on the kayakbassfishing.com forum.