Thread: cheapest camping option

Default cheapest camping option

looks like I might be coming down next week! This time it's just me and an old friend (who has no S.M. fishing experience). Where could we stay in a tent that is the cheapest? Isn't Elkmont $20? What about other campgrounds in the area more near civilization?

(Can we stay in someone's yard? We'll do some yard work for you to pay for the stay!.... J/K)

Big Creek's about as cheap as it gets, but you won't be likely to score a campsite if you show up on Friday evening...

Look here for more info: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm
    I got no style, I'm strictly roots.

Anywhere in the backcountry is free.
    Michael Corbin

Quote Originally Posted by jross View Post
    looks like I might be coming down next week! This time it's just me and an old friend (who has no S.M. fishing experience). Where could we stay in a tent that is the cheapest? Isn't Elkmont $20? What about other campgrounds in the area more near civilization?

(Can we stay in someone's yard? We'll do some yard work for you to pay for the stay!.... J/K)
    Treemont Campgrounds has tent sites cheap and they have a pool, showers and toilets.

Hey BlueRaiderFan where is Treemont campgrounds? I am assuming it is a commercial campground outside the park right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Hey BlueRaiderFan where is Treemont campgrounds? I am assuming it is a commercial campground outside the park right?
    I think it's that place on the left as you enter the park from Townsend. there's a bridge that crosses the little river, with a sign over top, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    I think it's that place on the left as you enter the park from Townsend. there's a bridge that crosses the little river, with a sign over top, if I'm not mistaken.
    Correct...you can't miss it. It will be the place that is filled with campfire smoke.

that tremont campground looks nice, but how much are tent sites? I couldn't find it on the net.

I also found the Old Mill campground, how does it relate to other campgrounds?

I should've specified that the cheapest is backcountry, but my friend was less than thrilled to think a bear could stop by for a chat in the backcountry!