Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 inches of snake = a new fly rod.

Man, I would have experienced a heart attack from that situation. I probably would have just thrown my rod down and ran...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

So would I!

I was wading the Harpeth with a buddy a few years ago. I knew he had an issue with spiders, shooting 3d archery he always made someone break trail because of the spider webs. Well on this trip we were fishing a great looking hole when he said we had to move. I kept fishing and about 3min later he came splashing out of the stream like a bear was chashing him. With a confused look on my face I asked what was up. "The spider started coming after me!" I looked and about 15yards away was a huge spider in its wed over the middle of the stream. I guess it was one of those spiders that can jump 50' (: needless to say the fishing was over for the day. This guy is huge bench press @ #400. And has a unreal fear of spiders. But it worked to our favor shootin tournments, all you had to do was take a stick (a real long one or he would kill you) and tickle his neck and he would be out for three targets.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the story and a good laugh. I now have another "good reason" to buy a new rod-->SNAKE ATTACK! I noticed more blackbears last year than ever in the park, especially Cades Cove. I have become more aware of my surrondings on all of my hikes and fishing excusions while in the park. Thanks for the reminders on bears and snakes!
    Mark <::::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

I'd probably be in the market for new waders too.

I really don't like snakes and always seem to attract them

hi pmike.

Yes, I wish I had just dropped the rod and jumped back a few feet instead of swishing it around with a 1/2 pound of snake on the end of it.

Also: I haven't bought a new rod in about 5 years. I cannot fathom the price scale on them.

I was once an avid ( pardon the obvious pun) St. Croix guy...but now I may have to be a walmart guy.
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website

Default this reminds me of .... snake or stick?

A few years back in the Park, my wife, who seldom throws bugs at trout but can be talked into going fly fishing with me on occasion in the Park, had a 'close encounter' with a snake: I was upstream and heard her scream and holler; I got out of the water and made my way down to her location as fast as I could: found her standing on the bank, obviously upset about something; looked around to see if a bear had 'set her off' but no bear
    'what's wrong?' I asked -'I caught a snake!' was her reply in a very shaken tone of voice -'where's your rod?' - 'out there in the river somewhere' she said - what?' -'well, I felt a hit on the dropper, set the hook and as I brought it in saw what I know was a snake on the line, so, I dropped my rod and ran for dry land'; 'where abouts did you drop your rod?'; 'over that way somewhere in the middle of the river' was the reply.
    So, I waded out aways, picked her rod up off the bottom (thank goodness for gin-clear water), while keeping a wary eye out for a snake; recovered everything BUT no snake on the end of the line - did she or didn't she? we'll never know for sure - but good for a chuckle now and then, because I might well have done the same as she did.
    Fishstu

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a conspiracy - these snakes against us fisherfolk!
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website