Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Deep Creek

Default Upper Deep Creek

Fished upper Deep Creek last weekend. I've been really busy this week but finally got a full report up on my blog. My cousin and I packed into #53 for Friday night and Saturday night. We fished from a little ways above #54 all the way up past #53 between Friday afternoon and Saturday, skipping about a half a mile in between. For those that want just the pictures, here are a few from the trip...

For those interested in the bugs, we saw good numbers of Golden stoneflies, various light colored mayflies (PEDs, Sulphurs, and Light Cahills or some combinations thereof), BWOs (very small), little yellow stoneflies, some unidentified larger mayflies that were probably Isonychias (but definitely not sure) and various caddis. Interestingly, the fish didn't seem to be looking for inch worms as the Green Weenie did very little to interest any fish. Best flies for me were a beadhead caddis pupa, Isonychia soft hackle (although didn't see any of the duns yet) and a Tellico nymph. For dries, stimulators and the Neversink caddis, all in yellow, were good.

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Great report David and I loved the part about the bees attacking your pack. I often use hiking poles and find they help a lot on the steep trails like bote mountain or deep creek. Some trails like the little river trail not as much although they do help in trecherous spots like crossing over rough creek right before you get to cs 24.

Very nice report. It's been about a year since I made it over to the upper reaches of Deep Creek. That is a little too long...
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Looks like a fun trip! Nice brownie

Great report I'm going to check out the blog now....wow that is a nice brown! I love Deep Creek.

Default upper deep 1 and done

man, you guys found the fish. i went to the upper end of deep creek today(6/20) and hiked down from newfound gap to the first campsite. i was barely able to fish at all. water access from the trail seemed sketchy at best: nearly straight drop-offs, rhodo thickets and when i could hit the water, deep pools and massive boulders prevented my further exploration. i guess i was expecting a somewhat easier stream entrance. i did manage a couple of nice specs on a thunderhead. i gather downstream from the the first campsite is much more fishable and fisherman friendly. by the way, i found a still working watch nestled in a tree at the campsite. either of you lose the time? and great pics! needless to say, my experience was exactly the opposite of what ya'll had. i doubt i'll return...to that section.

Knucklehead, neither of us took a watch so it wasn't ours... Next time, Walk down a mile or two below #53 and fish back up. Above the campsite it gets really tight quickly but below there is plenty of good water...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Really nice report and fish. I enjoyed the full read on your blog.

Thanks for taking the time to share those David, enjoyed that!!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Default the buzz..

cool deal man. read your blog as well. bees still present. glad ya'll had a great time.