Thread: y-fishin'

Default y-fishin'

Fishing at the y, watching a family of honkers, the good ole yellowhammer came through(the brown nabbed the small hammer while the bow hooked onto a 6). got off work about 7, hit the water at 8. and wam! several yellow stoneflies were around but no risers. a couple of last minute swimmers were leaving. a small clan of 5 geese (2 adult, 3 jr). i've been reading about water temps and have no gauge myself, but i do know at least some fish were feeding. releasing these 2 fish i did notice that the water seemed a tad warm. on a side note, hauled a 8-9 inch smallmouth out almost a mile above the tremont station yesterday.highest i've ever seen one in the park.
    caught 1 more bow of similar size right as lightening flashed(that fish was incredibly tasty). if anyone has never used a yellowhammer, i highly recommend trying(the legal version, of course).

Default y fishin' cont'd

this dude/dudette struck the y.h. like the thunder rolling above me. amazing how hard even the smaller fish nail this fly.

Bee-uuu-tee-ful trout!
    Curious: downstream of the Y or upstream towards the cove or upstream towards Metcalf?
    I've caught a few smaller browns closer to Metcalf (biggest around 14" a bit of ways above the picnic area) and just wonderin' about where you were throwin' the 'hammer'
    Thanks and Congrats!

Hey, good looking Brown there! You know on the subject of the Smallmouth, wife and I fished the stockers in G-burg a little over a month ago and, although I had caught one Smallie there 3 or 4 years back, never seen another till this year. There were Smallies everywhere. I wondered if they have stocked them?? You could see them lining the rock walls up midway through town, all about 8-12 inches, and I could see the green and bronze clearly although they were spooky to hit anything I threw at them out of my Trout box. Didn't have my warmwater stuff with me to try poppers or such.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

The smallies in G-burg may have been spawning and guarding nests.

Default literally at the y

fishstu-
    the hammer was working at the y. tough fishin there lately with all the swimmers, but they eventually leave. even fishing for just a few minutes can easily fill a skillet.