Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Eye Blanks

Matt,

Would you say the 3/4 blanks are closer to 3 or 4 weight rating? Same for the 4/5 weight blanks.

Thanks, Neal

Don't know about the 3/4 blanks. My son's is a 4/5 and it does quite nice with 5wt Rio line. It may be a bit "faster" rod with 4 wt, but it's really a nice caster with 5wt.

Jeff

I casted the 3/4 with a 4 wt line and it was nice. I prefer a slightly slower rod though. It'll naturally be faster with a 3 wt. I'd use a 4wt with it (but I have a couple of reels already loaded with 4wt line though)

--Matt

I know this thread is old, but I have built a few of the 7'6" tiger eye blanks and they are one of my favorites for the smokies. I would consider them a moderate action, which I like.

Sounds good Salvelinus. I think I'll build a 4pc, 8', 4 weight this winter. Tried to order a few months back, but he didn't have them in stock.

Neal

I just saw this thread the other day. I have been fishing TFOs for a good many years. I just might get a rod built sometime. How would a Tiger Eye 4/5 weight compare? I do not make very long casts as a general rule. I have my comfort zone where I can put it where I want it and where I can get a good hook set. If a fish is further than my comfort zone where I can't get a good hook set I sneak up to where I can. Also, are there any advantages to a 4 piece over a 2 piece other than traveling? Thanks for any help.

5X, I don't have much experience with the TFO rods. I have cast a couple at a shop a while back and they are nice. I know several builders who build a lot of TE rods. I have not heard anything bad about them. I'm considering one for a quote for a customer.
    4 pc. vs 2 pc.- I have heard it said it takes an expert to tell the difference in action. Personally, I really don't think there would be a lot of difference.

Knothead, I appreciate your response. I found out that I have a friend who has made a couple of rods out of the blanks and he is going to let me cast them this weekend. I'll find out then whether I like them or not.

5X, my rod is rated for 2/3 but the 2 wt. line, as I said, casts beautifully. Don't have the funds or inventory of lines to compare the two lines. I'm tickled with the 2 wt. DT. I tend to underline now to get the stiffer action. Underlined a 4/5 wt. with 4 wt.- Fished it a couple of weeks ago. Love it!

I fished a friend's 4/5 wt 8 ft 4 piece last Saturday and loved it. Now I am trying to decide whether to get the 2 piece or 4. Also, who do you suggest I get it from?