Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Creek

Default Deep Creek

I have been wanting to hike down Deep Creek Trail to 54 for a long time and finally decided to do it this weekend. I have to admit that I have long been fascinated by the reports I have read about the fishing on Deep Creek. I have been going to 23 and 24 on Little River for the past few years. I have to say that I was completely unaware of how much different Deep Creek is beginning with the trail itself. I am so sore today that I dont want to get off the couch. The hike out was brutal and only for those in really good physical condition!!! I will need to lose 20 or so more pounds before I try that hike again! I will also remember to go with a much lighter pack!

Other than the hike out it was a great trip! The fishing was fair, however, I spooked more fish than ever on this trip and need to work on my stealth a bit more. I saw quite few nice size fish go darting under rocks! I was also not prepared for the lack of entry spots to the river. It was difficult when fishing upstream and also looking for an "exit strategy". I caught quite a few small browns and rainbows, more browns than rainbows. There were surprisingly few people for it being a holiday weekend. I was also surprised at how much water was flowing compared to the little river.

I plan to hike in to 59 next. I assume that that hike is a little more forgiving to 38 year old out of shape fisherman!

Default Some Pics

Default I ran into this, not sure what it was all about.

Even if the fishing was only fair, it sounds like a good trip.

Did you go solo? Did you see any bears?

I have been planning a trip to #59 for a while, I have decided to head out in the morning. I was hoping to find a buddy, but I will be going in solo.

Sorry for all of the bad photography, I need a new and better camera

I did go solo, however, there were others at the campsite. I did not see any bears or any wildlife though the others in the camp stated that they saw a rattler on the trail. Glad I missed that, the trail gets thick between 53 & 54 and I do not like not being able to see my feet!!! I like going in solo, however I will want company with me when do that trip next time.

Nice pics, looks like the blair witch has been down there fishin' to me.

You've inspired me to go in solo, but I really do hope I have a camp neighbor. I guess #59 is popular so there is a good chance. This will only be my third solo backcountry trip and it gets a little creepy out there.

I know what you mean about not being able to see you feet. I was following a little overgrown fisherman's trail at Pretty Hollow only to have a huge snake cross about a foot in front of me. I only saw him as I was about to step on him.