Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brookie painting

Default Brookie painting

Tried my hand at painting my first Brookie last night. Looks kinda cartoonish, guess I need some more practice!!

<(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Bran--Other than the mouth, which I suspect would be the most difficult aspect, I think you did really well. I envy folks such as you who have artistic ability, those who can sing, play musical instruments, etc. Other than modest success in sports in high school and college, I have display a singular lifelong lack of most any kind of do-it-yourself talent except gardening. I can make stuff grow and raise two gardens (one in S. C. and one in Bryson City) each year. Keep at it!
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

im sure its not what you were aiming for, but it looks alot like art from native american tribes from the the North Pacific.. If I tried to paint a trout, no telling what it would come out looking like...I doubt it would look troutish though..

I've always done a lot of pencil drawings of animals, fish, buildings, outdoors, etc. but the oil paint or painting in general is new to me and the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is mixing colors and outlining. I appreciate the kind words though, I just thought I'd throw it on here, something a little different during all this summer heat and drought we've been in.
    I think I'll pick out another rock and try again this evening, maybe I'll get a little better with some practice. Think I might try to paint a couple of flies or something of that nature, or maybe a nice little pool below a water fall with a riser right in the tail of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
    I envy folks such as you who have artistic ability, those who can sing, play musical instruments, etc. Other than modest success in sports in high school and college, I have display a singular lifelong lack of most any kind of do-it-yourself talent except gardening. I can make stuff grow and raise two gardens (one in S. C. and one in Bryson City) each year. Keep at it!
    Jim, I think most folks would consider being an author, who can actually make a living selling the words that pop into their head, to be something of a talent...

just sayin'....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

I believe that catching a trout on a fly can also be somewhat of an art, or at least some people make it seem that way.

By the way, nice paintings Bran and Raider

Scott

Thanks again guys, and Raider that's pretty nice too!! I agree that Jim has a huge talent. I've thoroughly enjoyed my copy of the new Smokies book and Scott, totally agree that catching fish on the fly is a beauty to behold. It's a little bit of artwork and a whole lot of talent in and of itself!! I went up Greenbriar a couple years ago with Troutman and it was just absolutely awesome to watch him lay out line and cast in those tiny little pockets between brush and limbs and never once lose a fly!

Thanks guys. Yeah, writing is an art form, no doubt. So, is being an expert trout stalker. I have a few more years before that happens, if ever.

Bran - I like it. Paint me a grouse.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com