Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Oconaluftee and Little River 8-3-10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    265

    Smile Oconaluftee and Little River 8-3-10

    I fished a half mile of Oconaluftee this morning and caught 10 rianbows and 3 browns, the best fish being a fat 12 inch brown, but I forgot the camera. After coming home and working in the yard I grabbed the camera and headed to Little River. I fished 2 hours there, catching 17 trout and a few chubs. I missed as many as I caught. Here are a few pics from LR. There are two pics of the nice brown.



    Baby Brown



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I envy you. It seems like everytime you post, you have caught double-digit fish. I am brand new to this park fishing, and I am thrilled with 5 fish in a 5 hour time period. I have went many times for 5 and 6 hours without a fish. Hopefully I will improve over time, but I'll tell you, if the waters and the scenery in the park weren't so peaceful and serene, I would have already gave it up. However, I am already addicted to this new-found hobby of mine. It might be one of the most challenging endeavours I have ever attempted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Thank you, but that is only because I don't put posts up on trips like last week when I got my *** kicked by Little River and came up empty handed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I sort of figured that, too, and I do not blame you. Nonetheless, considering my best day is 6 fish after a full day, I am still green with envy. HAHA. But, I have only been at it a little over a month. I think my lack of luck is a mixture of not knowing the right spots and not possessing enough skill. However, I learn something every time I go--skill and location.

    I see you're from Cosby; that is close to my stomping grounds. I live in the Edwina community; have all my life.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Posts
    740

    Default

    tjw37909 do you work sometimes at the fly shop in gburg? If so I think I ran into you on Saturday during the rain I came in to buy some neversinks. If no then there is a guy there that looks like you lol.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I sort of figured that, too, and I do not blame you. Nonetheless, considering my best day is 6 fish after a full day, I am still green with envy. HAHA. But, I have only been at it a little over a month. I think my lack of luck is a mixture of not knowing the right spots and not possessing enough skill. However, I learn something every time I go--skill and location.

    I see you're from Cosby; that is close to my stomping grounds. I live in the Edwina community; have all my life.

    Greenie,

    In my humble opinion 6 fish in a day, for a beginner, in the park, is pretty good. Not that I know that much, but in my experience, you are doing great.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    Greenie,

    In my humble opinion 6 fish in a day, for a beginner, in the park, is pretty good. Not that I know that much, but in my experience, you are doing great.
    That is what I keep hearing. My wife's uncle, who has been fishing the park for 20+ years, told me he fished the park for a year before he caught a fish. Considering he now catches 5 fish to my one when I go with him, I think that is a bit of hyperbole on his part, haha. Nonetheless, he always tells me how great I am doing for someone with so little experience, but I still get frustrated.

    Until I learn this trade a little better, I am going to keep relying on depressed, suicidal 'bows to brighten my fishing days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Ha My first few trips, I swore that people were just making things up and that fish could rarely be caught in the park. I thought it was a scam by the area fly fishing industry to lure people in . I need to buy that book by Mr. Casada. It sounds like it has a lot more information than Rutters book ( I do like Rutters book though).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    Ha My first few trips, I swore that people were just making things up and that fish could rarely be caught in the park. I thought it was a scam by the area fly fishing industry to lure people in . I need to buy that book by Mr. Casada. It sounds like it has a lot more information that Rutters book ( I do like Rutters book though).
    It's an excellent read. I also found H. Lea Lawrence's book on fishing in the park to be an excellent read, although some of the info is slightly out-dated.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Crockett, yes I work in there part time to make some extra money to support the fishing and tying habit. Blue Raider, I have Jim's book, and it is good, but Ian's has as much, if not more actual stream and fishing information while Jim's has a lot more history of the park.

Similar Threads

  1. Oconaluftee 5-25-10
    By tjw37909 in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. Oconaluftee River Map Published
    By JoeFred in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM
  4. Oconaluftee 7/18
    By Fly_Man_Bill in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
  5. Day Two: Oconaluftee River
    By mtnman2888 in forum Smoky Mountain Fishing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 01:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •