Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mingus Creek and/or Collins Creek - GSMNP

Default Mingus Creek and/or Collins Creek - GSMNP

Does anyone have any info on Mingus Creek or Collins Creek on the NC side of GSMNP? I am heading over that way on business and would like to try one or both of these streams.

Collins creek is very tight and only has an old manway following it. It does provide for some open spots the first hundred yards or so in the picnic area. Mingus I have no idea, I assume it's not much easier than Collins. Collins has some decent fishing though, if you know how to crawl and fight rhodo.
    Last edited by tennswede; 08-06-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Hans gave a pretty good description of these two streams. Both of those steams are small and water levels have been running below normal. IMO these small streams fish better in the spring when the water levels are a little higher. Plenty of other water in the area that might offer better fishing.
    Last edited by flyman; 08-07-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Monday I tried Collins Creek and even though a recent hard rain was evident, it was hard to find pools large enough to fish. I want to try it again in the spring. I did have some degree of luck on Walker Camp Prong that day however. Didn't bring anything to hand though. It was either a case of my fly not being tied on properly or... it was one huge speck I hooked. I choose to believe the latter.

JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 08-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Default How about the Bradley Creek/Smokemont campground area?

Does anyone have a few tips on the Bradley Creek area adjacent to Smokemont? Jim Casada's book and others say this is a good spot to potentially hit a species-type grand slam.

Kevin,

Bradley Fork is a very nice stream. There is a possibility of catching a slam, but you would need to hike approximately 4 + miles to the Cabin Flats area. I fished Bradley last Sunday, had a nice day, water levels were great. I didn't catch any browns which was disappointing, but I hooked a lot of feisty bows in the 6-10" range. Bradley is one of the most beautiful streams in the Park IMO. Pretty easy wading, nice runs and pools. The trail is a gentle grade all the way to Cabin Flats. You'll have a better chance at browns closer to the campground, but I have caught them all the way up to Cabin Flats. Nothing against Collins or Mingus, but unless you wanna bushwhack, Bradley is a far better fishing destination IMO.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.hoyt View Post
    Does anyone have a few tips on the Bradley Creek area adjacent to Smokemont? Jim Casada's book and others say this is a good spot to potentially hit a species-type grand slam.
    I have caught all 3 species within a mile of Smokemont campground several times. Probably one of the most accessible and easiest place to get the slam.

Grampus
    Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.hoyt View Post

Kevin,

I got my first grand slam on the Bradley a few years ago. I will usually camp at Smokemont and fish Bradley and the Lufty. Bradley is a great stream to fish, especially above the campground, although, I have caught lots of trout right in the campground.

Michael

Kevin-hoyt--Bradley Fork is a great stream, but you are not going to find specks in the lower reaches near Smokemont. I don't believe I said lower Bradley Fork was a good place for a Smoky slam, and if I did it's a serious error. I'll check later today to be sure. You would have to get way upstream in the Tennessee Branch or Cabin Flats area for that to happen. If that's your interest, I would advise going to nearby Straight Fork or fishing upper Luftee (Beech Flats Prong). That may be what you have in mind since you say the "Bradley Fork area."
    While it might not be the ideal choice for a one-day slam, unless you want to walk a lot, Bradley Fork is a fine trout stream. There are lots of big, long pools in the lower reaches which hold some good fish.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
    Jim Casada

Kevin.hoyt--Previous posts pretty well sum up the situation on Mingus and Collins creeks. They are about the same size and fish best in the spring and early summer. Both hold plenty of fish, albeit running to the small side. There's no maintained trail on Collins Creek and maybe the most interesting thing about it which comes to mind is that it was the late Harry Middleton's favorite stream.
    Mingus Creek is served by a trail and probably isn't quite as overgrown, overall, as Collins Creek. There's lots of history here, with the old mill at the mouth drawing thousands of visitors. Yet not one in a thousand of them visit any of the nearby graveyards or notice the vestiges of old home sites.
    If you want a small stream that is really productive, drive down to Deep Creek, walk a half mile up it, take the Indian Creek Trail for a mile or so, and start fishing.
    Finally, I cover both Collins and Mingus Creeks in some detail in my book.
    Have a good trip.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com