Thread: Killer Streamer: Rubber Band Special

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Killer Streamer: Rubber Band Special

Several of you know that I am always trying new/crazy fly patterns. I have discovered one that just nails them if you are streamer fishing.

Basically, just tie a normal streamer; but, cut about a 1 1/2" rubber band tail and tie it in. I tie it in with the curl of the tail sticky upward. Use a wire wrap to help secure it going back up the body. No special rubber band; just the tan colored ones. I trim the tie part to make it narrow and to not bulk up the body. It is amazing the action it gives the streamer. You might want to tie a few. They are not that durable and sometimes you miss a few when the strike the tail.

Good Luck!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Several years ago, I was visiting with Bob Clouser in his PA shop. He had these twisty tails, the sort that are on plastic worms. After discussing it with him I tried tying several. Worked great. Looks like you discovered a great way to save money on them. Isn't tying great? We are only limited by our imagination.

Shawn-

That sounds interesting. Do you have a photo and a recipe, I'd like to try it. I was flipping through a trout magazine the other day, and I may have seen Bob's streamer with a purple curly worm tied onto the tail.

I am alway willing to try something new, especially if it works, and absolutely slays them.

Bill

Default Flies

I have tied a couple of flies using the rubber material used for bass jigs. Basically a wooly bugger with a rubber band tail, mainly yellow. Also, I got a wild idea and tied on a small rubber crappie jig with a tube body. Caught a trout!

Ok, this is a horrible picture; but, I do not have the time to tie and photograph any of these right now. This is the only streamer I have left out of my box with any as-semblance of a tail. Like I said; it does not hold up well; but, it sure drives the trout crazy. Add about an inch or inch in a half length to the one in this picture.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Shawn-

Thanks for the photo. It must work, cuz it looks like its been chewed on by a number of fish!

Bill