Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragonfly fishing...

Default Dragon Flies

I've had this happen several times as well. Managed to hook a Purple Martin a couple of times in my life as well. Once on the Clinch fishing a sulphur.
    Really neat, the dragon flies just caught it and eventually turned loose. The little martin was hooked, and realeased!
    Best,
    John

i worked this summer and last on a NWR. last year there was an intern who did a dragon fly study on the refuge. I learned a whole lot more about 'em back home. And it was neat this past week while fishing to notice the dragonfly species in the park. I defeinately was more aware of those miniature predators this year. A lot of critters and things in the Park ( and the world for that matter) are too often overlooked...

Jim, here in the Piedmont I heard them called "witch doctors" till I was on up pretty good size. They've always been a little spooky looking to me and to this day I don't like one to sit on me or hover close. I'll swat at them although I know they don't bite folks.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Bran--I hadn't heard that description before, but I love it. "Witch doctors" fits quite nicely with Devil's knitting needle.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

They are called Snake Doctors in Alabama.

Principal--That's an interesting name too--a variant on the snake feeders I have heard all my life. The long and the short of all of this is that I've got the ideal raw material, thanks to a number of you, for a little essay on these dragons of the insect world.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Will trout eat those? I've never seen any fish take one, but they look like they'd make a good meal for a decent sized fish. I don't even think I've ever seen a bass take one.

Default Snake Doctor

That's what we call them in Georgia also.

Catch one, hook it thru its tail and lay it on the water without any weight so it can flutter and hold on....

That's real fly fishing!