Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New all around rod for smokies

Adam--Great point about the rod Mark Cathey has in the well-known photo of him. In truth I had never thought of it, but the rod is definitely 8'6" or 9'. On the flip side of the coin, one of the finest fly fishermen I ever knew, Frank Young (I mention him a number of times in my book) sometimes fished with a quite short rod; other times with a long one. I have a three-piece F. E. Thomas bamboo which was once his that is, I believe, 8'6". The single best fisherman I have spent time on a stream with, Marty Maxwell (he's the guy on the cover of my book) uses a very long rod--9', 9'6", or even 10', and he can handle it in tight quarters such as Little Snowbird with no problems at all.
    Thanks for your keen observation on Cathey, and rest assured I'll make use of this tidbit at some point in time down the road.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

In my brief experience with fishing smaller waters, I did wish for a short rod when the rhodo started to really hang over the creek.

I know I'm a newbie here but why limit yourself to just one rod? wouldn't it be better to use a shorter rod in close quarters and a longer rod in open areas? I understand trying to get a one size fits all but sometimes it pays to have a custom fit. Just wondering?

icspecs--Longer rods actually have special virtues in tight quarters--more reach, lengthier bow-and-arrow casts in tough places, extra distance for dappling, longer roll casts when you can't false cast, easier to mend, etc. As I posted earlier on this thread, there's a detailed discussion of the matter somewhere back in the archives (maybe a couple of months ago).
    In the final analysis though, I can make points in favor of a long rod, someone else can do the same for a short one; I can ridicule zero-weight fairy wands of six feet in length while another belittles my nine-foot four-weight. In the end everyone should do what floats their own fly.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Quote Originally Posted by canetuck View Post
    Thanks again guys for all the fine suggestions.Jim I look forward to reading your book on the Smokies. Jeffnles1 I've been reading your blog and your G2 pic was my inspiration to get one.I do prefer a lighter action.

Thanks. I did just post a new entry on the blog about a day fishing for longear sunfish.

Just to fuel your fire for a G2.

It used to be that to go lighter you had to go shorter...this led to my fishing short rods for a lot of situations...last year I found an 8'4" Orvis Helios 3wt. on ebay...new...for $350...this wand weighs in at a whopping 1 3/4 ounces...I can high stick this sweet thing all day long without getting tired....now use it on all but the tightest of creeks.

Overall I think the longer rods are easyier to control