Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunters on the board

2weight, One place that comes that comes to my mind would be the Sunqest WMA, it's located up around lake city and Briceville. i know of a few guys that hunt up there each year. But I hear they are getting hard to come by there. i personally have never hunted grouse but would love to. That might be worth looking into. if you have a good topo map of the area, look for graves gap moutian.

2weightfavorite do you live out montvale road (near sam james road country meadows) by chance?

I saw something I've never seen before tonight when I came home. In our field about 50 feet from my truck was a turkey hen and a poult that was very young. It looked to be about 14" tall. This young bird was of the size I usually see in May. There was only one baby. Anyone seen a turkey this small in late August?

Byron

I noticed several very small ones in a group of 30 when I was coming through Andersonville about an hour ago.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Byron, out on my family farm here in Anderson County, I have seen some poults, however i havn't ever seen just one with a hen. The ones i have seen are also bigger then 14" tall. That seems to be small for this time of year.

Default crockett,..

I do live out Montvale road, off of Blockhouse however... Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    I too love to grouse hunt, however, since moving here from PA I have seen 5 grouse... 2 of those were in the national park! Where in the world do the grouse live in this state!? I hunted hard up at Royal Blue, havent seen one there yet... I have seen a few in the foothills WMA, which is out towards chilhowie and six mile.. But in the last decade in the foothills I have only seen the three... I even hunted them in the snow last season which up north is an automatic flush or two. I hunted for about 5 hours in the snow and never cut a set of tracks.. I guess this year I will have to head towards Crossville..?? Anyway, Some geneal info on the grouse in this state would be appreciated..
    Cherokee NF is a good place to start, try the end towards Newport/Del Rio. I spend most of my time over there, we average moving 5-7 birds per trip. If there is snow on the ground here, stay home. This isn't the north and our birds get unhappy and sneaky quick.

Another area I hear about is around Sneedville, all private land, but knock on some doors, and Big South Fork.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
    I saw something I've never seen before tonight when I came home. In our field about 50 feet from my truck was a turkey hen and a poult that was very young. It looked to be about 14" tall. This young bird was of the size I usually see in May. There was only one baby. Anyone seen a turkey this small in late August?

Byron
    Yes, it is usually the result of either a young hen who nested late, or a hen who lost her first clutch and renested.

Take a few deer out for me, they seem to have it in for me every morning on my way into work.

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    I do live out Montvale road, off of Blockhouse however... Why do you ask?
    Well there is a grouse hunter in my neighborhood (country meadows off sam james) who moved here from PA and was talking to me the other day about how there were just no more quail around to hunt so I thought he might be you. We do live pretty close though I usually go out blockhouse over to rocky branch? to get to the park.