Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippet Material Question

Question Tippet Material Question

I have a question for the board. I have used them both. Right now I am using Frog Hair, but is Frog Hair really worth twice as much as Orvis Super Strong tippet material? If so, why?
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

I refuse to pay rediculous prices for tippet... Present the fly well, and you can catch fish on anything. Not worth the money!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    I refuse to pay rediculous prices for tippet... Present the fly well, and you can catch fish on anything. Not worth the money!
    While I would generally agree and would not buy anything fancy for the park, I do think it's worth the money for the 7X floro when fishing let th Soho or something quiiv.

I have generally been a Rio man which is good and cheap, although a buddy got my using the Umpala 10ft 6x which work nice on tail waters or in the Smokies, and seems to be able to land the monsters without breaking.

I use the orvis super strong in the park, pretty much exclusively. I tried some SA leaders/tippet and at least the ones I have tried have all formed corkscrews and twists that I couldn't get to straighten - giving me a leader that is effective shorter than it should be, poor drift, and difficult hook sets due the extra slack which lead to a lot of missed fish. I haven't tried RIO, but it is on my list to try because i feel like I have heard good things.

I also use the orivis super strong and like it for just that reason it doesn't seem to twist and kink up so easy. I have used RIO in the past and like it ok as well.

I agree with 2weightfavorite. I know one fellow that pulls mono out of trees and uses that for leader/tippet. He catches fish!

I have used Super strong and Frog's hair, I prefer super strong, especially for the money, for fishing Park waters and tailwaters as well.

Neal

I use Orvis Mirage, mainly because my knots don't seem to break as much with it. I'm noobish though.

Quote Originally Posted by donwinn View Post
    Right now I am using Frog Hair:
    You might try Tectan fishing line, as I believe Frog Hair is just rebadged tectan.

I have used about everything I could get my hands on and I completely love/adore this stuff from Walmart. Especially for under $2 a spool. I say use what you want; but, take the time to exam the tippet in the water and see how it works for the color and rig setup you want to use...:

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”