Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todd's Wiggle Minnow

I've never tied these myself, but I've fished the fire tiger and shad color for smallies with success. The rainbow and brown trout colors work great on the tailwaters.

Couldn't you just make white ones and then color them with permanent craft markers?

I have a few of these and can honestly say I don't fish them because the leaders kept twisting up horribly. I considered putting on a swivel just to keep from twisting so bad. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to go heavier than a 2x leader? I wouldn't think so. Just curious about how you guys are retrieving or fishing this fly?

Wade I use a swival and a larger one at that. I put it about 18" above the fly. It kinda noses the minnow down and it will start running quicker. I don't carry a sinking line and this is how I combat that. You can even add some shot above the swival for deeper water.
    Lynn

I tie my WM's to the tippet with a loop knot. It gives the fly a little more freedom of movement. As far as twisting the leader, I dont have much of a problem with it. Occasionally I will lift the fly and leader out of the water and allow it to untwist on it's own if it seems to be twisting during the cast. I've landed more smallies on the WM pattern in the last 2-3 years than all other patterns combined.