Thread: N C Midges

Default N C Midges

This may be a "stupid" question but will the same patterns for tennessee tail waters work in the nantahala? I've read posts about favorites in tenn and tyed a few I haven't tried them yet but hope to soon. Any advice on midges will be appreciated.

Snowbird fly--In a word, yes. Just keep 'em small and grey on the Nantahala, and by small I mean somewhere from size 20 to 26. I have trouble tying on such tiny flies, even with aid of magnification, but when Nantahala trout get zeroed in on the little stuff not much else will work. And believe me, there are some bruisers there which eat the midges, tricos, blue wing olives or whatever might be on the menu.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Thanks Jim fishing tiny flies is new to me along with tailwater trout. I think learning new ways to catch fish on flies and different fishing techniques are what make fly fishing great!

Jim is absolutely right. If you fish it enough, there will come a day that you will have the satisfaction of knowing that those 26 griffiths gnats you bought and thought you'd never use are the only thing getting you hits!

I'm hoping that since we're having a bit more rain lately that maybe the BWO hatches from a few years ago will come back - not that I know if that was the cause of them being less prolific over the last 3 or 4 years...

Also - I heard the other day that last year's problem with the trout pellets( that the trout would hardly eat - the hatchery changed pellet suppliers and the trout hated 'em supposedly ) has been solved. So, hopefully the fish will be back to the usual size this year.
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website

The same midge patterns you use to catch fish on the tailwaters of East TN will catch fish anywhere there are midges. I've used basically the same patterns from TN & NC, to Colorado, and New Mexico. Take a look at this article from Fly Fisherman Magazine by Ross Purnell, although it's slightly dated, it's one of the best basic articles I've seen on midge fishing. Some good photos with links to some good patterns also. Midge fishing has it's on little tricks of the trade just like fishing nymphs or dry flies.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/...lwater-trout/1
    Last edited by flyman; 09-21-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    The same midge patterns you use to catch fish on the tailwaters of East TN will catch fish anywhere there are midges. I've used basically the same patterns from TN & NC, to Colorado, and New Mexico. Take a look at this article from Fly Fisherman Magazine by Ross Purnell, although it's slightly dated, it's one of the best basic articles I've seen on midge fishing. Some good photos with links to some good patterns also. Midge fishing has it's on little tricks of the trade just like fishing nymphs or dry flies.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/...lwater-trout/1
    flyman, thanks for posting that article. It definately gave a few points I never even thought to consider. Great article.