Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you eat on the way to fish the park

Mike is that Italian place in gburg right across the street from the Alamo steakhouse (another good place but expensive) called Ogle's Brick oven pizza? I have ate there once and it was good. At least as far as italian places in gburg go.

When I am fishing greenbrier I usually go get a cheeseburger from the Cobbly Knob store just up 321 toward cosby about 4 miles from the greenbrier entrance. Really good burgers there and I wish it were in Townsend.

Flyman I have driven by Granny's kitchen on my way to maggie valley from cherokee but never stopped. Thanks for the tip!

Default "Best Italian", is their actual name :)

Here's a link to their site. The name is "Best Italian" and it's tucked back in next to the Elk's Lodge in "Elk's Plaza" about a block away from Calhouns, heading toward Pigeon Forge. I have been going there at least once, if not twice during our trips up that way since my oldest daughter was about 7. She is almost 30, but don't let her know I told anyone.

Bubba Gumps in Gatlinburg has some of the best "Shrimp n Grits" this ole Florida boy has ever had in his mouth. Never thought I'd say that aboput any place found north of Georgia!

Mike

LINK ADDED: http://www.bestitalian.com/
    Last edited by pmike; 09-15-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: correction and addition of link
    "Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Many great choices in Gburg.....

Calhouns
    Smky mt brewery....Good micro brews...ok food...great karma.
    Cherokee grill
    Park grill

and the Peddler is always good.

Best Italian is VERY good.

Plus there is a certain bartender in the burg, that is Fly-fisherman friendly...

Cheers

Townsend: The 66 station early in the am for the country ham biscuit.. Brushing crumbs off me before heading in the LRO to buy my fly offerings for the weekend

GBurg:Best Italian is really a bargain. All of the entrees serve two hungry folks
    I have been ordered when driving back to KY from work in NC to swing over and get the "death by garlic poisoning rolls" What a way to go!

PB&J for the stream-side. When I was out in Wyoming all of the lunches were more grand than what I have for dinner so I must be doing something wrong...

Because of my drive from Marietta (GA), I usually end up getting to Townsend late morning, and try to stop at the Walland Center for one of their Hillbilly Tacos. Usually don't get hungry again until sometime the next day.

Haven't stopped in a couple of years, but the 66 station in Townsend used to serve a mean chili-slaw dog also.

The Back Porch in Townsend has some great country ham.

Great info. It's like a daggone hatch chart for the rest of us.

JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 09-17-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps
    sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Default Where to eat on Snowbird

I love the trout dinner at Katie's Kitchen. It is a little hard to find, but all you have to do is drive up Dick's Branch road about 150 yards, Katie's is on the right. This is dinner of course, not breakfast. Lynn's in Robbinsville is very good as well. If over on the Nantahala the River's End at the NOC is great as well.
    Really like Pasquelino's in Bryson City as well. Also the Fryemont Inn in Bryson City. These are all dinner.
    Good Eats!
    John

Default Hey JF

The back porch country ham is that breakfast lunch or dinner or all of the above?

My cardiologist needs a new Jag to drive

Too funny, Streamhound! We had it for dinner... I think. Hmmmm... Memory's failing me some, which is not unexpected. I was recently diagnosed with O.L.D.

JF
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps
    sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

I highly recommend the North China Restaurant in G-Burg. It's just past the aquarium (heading south) on off the main drag street that will take you by the Happy Hiker. Best Chinese food I have had in East TN. It's not a buffet, freshly prepared, very tasty and good portions for around $10 bucks. My favorite eatery in G-Burg.

Neal