Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clinch 9/17

Default Clinch 9/17

Fished this morning for a couple of hours and had much success. The success came after I either got the correct color or depth, probably both for my midge. Smallest fish to hand was 18" with several over 20. It was enough I considered marking them to see if I was catching the same fish. I was above the jail past the island letting my bug float thru the riffles. I hope this helps someone else. I enjoy reading but seldom post.
    Brian

tireguy-

Thanks very much for the update. I like fishing behind the "jail", really the "Church." I was thinking about driving down to Clinton next week to fling some flies at the trout. Glad you had success, its good to hear.

May I ask what flies you were using?

Bill

I would say that is a spectacular day on the Clinch to land fish in that size range with consistency and no babies I know I would mark it up as a memorable experience....Glad you had a great day and got to get out on the water.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Not a single fish under 18", that is remarkable. Glad you had a good day.

I got in a couple hours this morning. Most of mine were 12-13". May have to drift down closer to Lewallen next time.

Quote Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
    I got in a couple hours this morning. Most of mine were 12-13". May have to drift down closer to Lewallen next time.
    I fished down in that region on Thurs. my fish averaged the same as yours. I did catch a couple of 15" fish and a 20" brown, but the vast majority of fish were under 13" as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
    tireguy-

Thanks very much for the update. I like fishing behind the "jail", really the "Church." I was thinking about driving down to Clinton next week to fling some flies at the trout. Glad you had success, its good to hear.

May I ask what flies you were using?

Bill
    I was using a brown with gold bead and wire midge pupa(22) on 6x.
    Brian

Default 9-19

fished there today from 9-12 and got skunked.....had a few rise and hit a comparadun but nothing on any midge i tried

GRRRRRRRRR

very frustrating!

talked to other anglers who seemed to be having similar results
    there is a reason they dont call it "catching"

Max,

Did you try pulling a flashback nymph through the water like a streamer? I have yet to be on a tailwater that it didn't get me one toward the end of the day when I was getting skunked. JMO.

Got on the Clinch this afternoon for 2-3 hours. It was slow, although the fish were sporadically feeding heavy on the surface. Saw a lot of micro-caddis around the overhanging vegetation. Did manage to catch some hefty 15-16" bows and a few smaller ones. Overall, a slow day.