Thread: Elk River

Default Elk River

Hit the Elk on Friday. Plenty of fish rising. Didn't do so hot on dries and droppes and switched to a streamer that I "made up" (probably has been done before by someone else). Started catching fish right away. But, it was near dark and getting darker, so I left. Great river in a beautiful area. Oh yeah, I did see a lot of hopper activity, but forgot to try one.

Thanks for the report. I haven't heard much about the Elk lately. Healthy looking fish. Silvercreek
    "Here fishy fishy."

Thanks, I did notice a hatch come off...kind of a tiny fly with medium dun wings and a body that was kind of a dull yellow. This thing must have been about size 18-20. Not certain what it was but there were quite a few. I've added more detail and pics on my blog (linked below).
    Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 09-18-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Great report! Glad one of us finally hooked some trout in the Elk. We need hit the Elk or some other tailwater soon. The weather should be cooling down soon. Nice pic. Glad your nephew had a good time.
    Mark <::::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Went yesterday (Lexie), got there about 3. We caught a few on hares ear in midcurrent with a Zebra on the bottom. Then right at dark we caught them pretty easily with soft hackles drift down and across and the brought to the surface with a lift of the rod. Strike came when they were right at the surface!
    "even Jesus had a 12 man recon team"

Cool! I need to tie some soft hackles. Seems like they come on right at dark. What's a goodun to use?